A strong job description is essential to hiring capable and talented workers. It can be difficult to attract the right candidates, however. When creating a job posting, you are trying to sell the position and make your company seem as attractive as possible, but you also need to the qualifications and expectations to be perfectly clear to avoid receiving numerous unwanted applications. Your top priority, however, should be getting the right parties interested in the position that is being offered. To help you with your job posting, MightyRecruiter has provided a communications supervisor – hospital job description sample. Study this example for when you are writing your own.
Hospital Communications Supervisor Job Summary
The communications supervisor position requires organization and monitoring skills. You will be responsible for over viewing the communications work process, both internally and externally, and working to make it more efficient and accurate. Will also have to gather and present statistical information.
Hospital Communications Supervisor Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Completes human resources goals through selection, orientation, scheduling, and disciplining of employees.
- Develop strategies to improve the rate of communication and improve operational standards.
- Gather and analyze annual financial information, including budgets and expenditures.
- Compile data to develop and maintain a beeper system.
- Facilitates intra-and inter-department telephone calls.
- Maintain records for the communication center.
- Monitor communication services and develop and enforce policies.
- Create emergency notification system, establish response plans, and contact special teams.
- Implement changes to improve quality of processes.
Hospital Communications Supervisor Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program or school. BSN preferred.
- Three to five years experience in specialty care or related field.
- Management experience preferred.
- ACLS and BLS certifications required.
- Licensed with the State of California as a Registered Nurse.
St. Matthews Hospital has been in operation for nearly a century, being established in 1919. Our facility offers full service and includes over 150 licensed beds, including critical care and rehab units. We take a patient-centered approach to medicine while offering state-of-the-art care. All those working in St. Mathews Hospital are dedicated to their work and enjoy improved job security.
What to Include In Your Communications Supervisor – Hospital Job Description
The job description that you write will fulfill many purposes, and there are numerous others that you may mistakenly believe it should accomplish. How can you know what information to include and what should wait until the interview? The following will go into greater detail, but remember that the most important objectives you should keep in mind are for your posting to attract talent and sell the position.
• Job Summary – Begin your job description with a brief summary. It is most effective to keep this section of your job posting short. Usually one to three sentences will be plenty. When writing, describe the responsibilities and purpose of the position. It may seem unusual to list the responsibilities again later, but this section is simply to get the candidate to continue reading with a quick overview.
• Responsibilities and Requirements – This is the section where you will really dig into the core of the position. It is typically recommended that you include between five and ten, but never more than a dozen, bullet points, each beginning with a strong action verb. Do not waste space describing minor or incidental actions the hired party with do. You may also include information about how much time is spent on each task. Be as accurate as possible.
• Company Information – After listing the responsibilities of the position, always take the time to describe your company. Figure out what makes it unique and focus on the benefits it offers new hires. They need to know if they will fit in with your office culture. With a position as integrated as the communications supervisor, especially in a hospital setting, it is essential that they have a good understanding of the way the company functions.
• Search Engine Optimization – While this is not its own section, including search engine optimization is vital to successfully attracting candidates. Think about what terms will be commonly used when searching for positions similar to the one you are offering. Identifying and integrating these terms may improve the ranking of your job posting significantly and ensure more talented workers see it.
• Call to Action – Finally, include a short paragraph at the end of your job description that encourages readers to apply. This section may include a start date for the position and should have the company contact information or alternate application information. It should only be one or two short sentences, but be sure to use phrasing such as “apply now” or “send in your resume”.
Do not forget that your positing should be easy to read. Keep it short so anyone who sees it will be able to read through it in a matter of minutes.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing Your Account Communications Supervisor – Hospital Job Description: Dos and Don’ts
After you have finished writing, always go back and make sure it is as strong as possible. These tips should help you get it right.
• Do have clear and concise submission guidelines.
• Don’t go against company policy for posting salary. It is acceptable to include or not to include it.
• Do include information about the kind of job it is. Is it full or part-time?
• Do list clear job locations and start dates.
• Don’t start writing until you understand the position. Consult parties currently working in the position for more accurate information.
The clearer and more organized your job posting is, the easier it will be to hire a new communications supervisor.
Writing a Job Description: Do’s and Don’ts
- This short guide should help you really bring out the best in your job description. Finally, to ensure your posting is as strong as possible, take a look at the following do’s and don’ts to take the job description just a little further and attract the right candidates.
- Do make full use of bullet points. It is much easier to read a job posting when the information is organized in this way. Don’t use too many, however, or you will have a large block of text that defeats the purpose.
- Don’t start writing your job description until you have a complete understanding of the position. You should consult with employees that are currently in the position or have done the work previously to gain a better understanding.
- Do make the company as appealing as possible. When writing the company information, you should be focusing on how it will benefit its employees. Emphasize the areas it excels, but also make it clear that you will advance the candidate’s career.
- Don’t include information that is against company policy. Sometimes companies want the salary to be posted with the job description, and sometimes they do not. There is no correct method, so you simply must be in line with your business’ decision.
- Do include application submission information. This may be the company’s contact information or a link to an online form. You should also include information about the start date and location of the position.
- Don’t be vague. The more information you can include, the better. Just remember to be concise. You want to include as much detail as possible without making your job posting too extensive.
- Do use active language. It is best practice to start each bullet point in the responsibilities section with a strong action verb. It is your job to enable the reader to envision themselves in the position. That way, the hired party will have the best possible fit.
By following these practices, you can ensure that the candidates you hire are as talented and dedicated as possible. Take the time now to make your posting strong so you can hire capable talent.