While postal service clerks perform many tasks to support postal operations, they typically assist by directly serving customers. Generally, a clerk will sell postal services and mailing supplies, such as stamps, boxes and envelopes, as well as money orders and postal stationery. In addition, they may help process and sort mail as needed.
When creating your postal service clerk job description, you should include qualities and skills that are necessary for a candidate to succeed in the profession. Emphasize strong customer service skills and a friendly, approachable demeanor.
Moreover, be sure to mention that candidates should also be detail-oriented, as well as possess the appropriate strength and stamina to stand for long periods of time and perform some heavy lifting. Finally, they must pass a background check as well as the appropriate written exams. For some guidance and inspiration, we’ve provided an example postal service clerk job description below.
Postal Service Clerk Job Summary
Do you want to put your analytical and organizational skills, excellent customer service talents and detail-oriented focus to work? If you’re the type of professional who values accuracy, loves a fast-paced environment and desires the chance to help people on a daily basis, then you could be the perfect fit for our postal service clerk job opening. You will play an important role in the operations of one of the most vital government agencies in the country, using your communication and problem-solving skills to directly serve customers at a neighborhood facility. Besides putting your valuable talents to use, you’ll also benefit from a topnotch training program and advancement opportunities, as well as a competitive pay and benefits package.
- Inspect incoming mail to ensure that correct postage is used and that packages and letters have been prepared in proper condition for mailing and transport
- Calculate mailing costs of letters, packages and parcels by weighing, computation, and proper classification by their type, weight and destination
- Attach correct postage, as well as proper labels if needed, to incoming mail presented by clients
- Sort incoming and outgoing mail by hand or with machines, and classify according to destination and type
- Answer customers’ questions about procedures, regulations, mailing methods and postage costs, as well as post office boxes, mailing supplies and other products provided by the Post Office
- Respond to customer complaints and problems by performing research as necessary, providing information and offering appropriate solutions
- Transfer pieces of mail between work stations to facilitate proper processing, sorting and delivery
- Verify recipient information for registered, certified or special delivery mail, and obtain signatures before dispensation
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Citizen of United States or U.S. territory, or permanent resident alien
- Comply with applicable Selective Service registration requirements
- Successfully pass appropriate United States Postal Service exams
- Ability to pass background check, drug screening and medical assessment
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of clerical processes and procedures
Although postal jobs are typically in high demand, creating a compelling postal service clerk job description is only the beginning. It’s also crucial to post it on platforms where it gets the attention of the right candidates. It will already gain some notice with its appearance on your organization’s website, and leveraging your social media presence is also a key component to attracting potential talent. However, don’t forget to encourage your existing employees to spread the word and share your job opening with others in their social and professional circles.
Online job boards are also a vital resource for casting a wider net to find the best applicants, but individually posting to a myriad of websites can take quite a bit of time. That’s why MightyRecruiter is a great tool to expand your reach, allowing you to post jobs for free on hundreds of boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter