A business development representative plays an integral part in building brand awareness and establishing new opportunities through consistent research, selling and product education. Some of the primary responsibilities of a business development professional include learning about a company’s product line and pending developments, presenting sales pitches to prospective customers, partners and investors, overseeing lead generation efforts and researching demographics, statistics and customer needs to determine effective methods of marketing.
When writing your business development representative job description, be sure to highlight customer service and sales as critical skills to have. Candidates also must be able to communicate and present information confidently, manage their time and be able to quickly learn about new products.
Applicants should demonstrate interpersonal abilities as they will be responsible for establishing and strengthening business relationships. This business development representative job description provides an example of how you might organize important information.
Business Development Representative Job Summary
As a business development representative at our corporate office, you will have the unique opportunity to build our company’s brand and customer loyalty. Your skillset will be heavily utilized to expand business operations, recognize and realize potential partners and investors and develop organizational initiatives. Whether you are presenting an exciting and persuasive presentation, undertaking lead generation efforts or researching current trends to better understand the market, this position provides you with the chance to develop and strengthen your leadership, customer service, sales and communication skills. If you enjoy working with people and using creativity to educate and inform, then this job may be the perfect fit for you.
- Research target demographics, economic trends, customer needs and interests and other data that can be used in creating strategies for business development
- Oversee efforts to expand lead generation through cold calling, business-to-business selling and other methods to identify potential business prospects and assist sales professionals in acquiring new customers
- Build relationships with existing customers, investors and partners through consistent follow up, reliable communication and frequent updates on product developments
- Present sales pitches, product reports and other valuable data to potential prospects in a way that promotes the company brand and mission and helps the audience identify a need for the product
- Study each product offered by the company and be able to persuasively educate and inform customers of how each works and its specifications; understand how to upsell and recommend complementary merchandise
- Collaborate with professionals from other departments to identify product improvements, modifications or changes that could enhance its overall performance and attractiveness
- Investigate different organizational theories and provide suggestions for ways to optimize business growth by utilizing core competencies and employee strengths
- Mentor and train sales and customer service professionals about how to successfully market a product, create a need, close a sale and provide superior customer support
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or related study
- Five or more years in customer service or sales positions
- Public speaking skills
- Master’s degree in business development or related field
- Experience in business-to-business selling
Once you have edited, modified and put the finishing touches on your business development representative job description, you are one step closer to finding the right person to fill the job. The next step involves sharing your posting and ensuring that the channels you use will elicit the type of response you are looking for. Whether you choose to use social media advertisement, referral programs or even job fair marketing, verifying the legitimacy of your sources is critical to finding qualified applicants.
Another reliable channel is online job boards. Here, applicants can search for available jobs and use filters to narrow their results to find just the right job. This method allows you to quickly share your posting without a lot of time or resources spent on advertisement. Get started with MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!