Chefs are responsible for handling all food-related concerns and taking care of all food preparation needs at restaurants or any other places where food is regularly served. They may be required to cook, bake and prepare predetermined menu items on a daily basis, or they may be asked to come up with new menu ideas and develop delicious dishes.
It is important to highlight the ideal qualifications you want from a chef in the skills and qualifications section of your chef job description. For example, if you want your chef to have specific training from a culinary arts school or four-year college, be sure to specify this in your job description.
Chefs should be able to work well and keep their cool in a fast-paced work environment. For more details about what goes into a great chef job description, consult the example below.
Chef Job Summary
As a chef at our popular restaurant, you’ll have the opportunity to create a stunning selection of diverse menu items for our customers. You’ll be able to put your skills to good use creating masterful dishes for lunch and dinner, as well as mouthwatering desserts and appetizers. You will enjoy working with and receiving assistance from a remarkable team of waiters, waitresses and other supporting staff members who will help you make and deliver meals to guests promptly. This job is the perfect fit for those who want to develop their skills and work in a reputable restaurant with a loyal following. If you want to take your skills and talents to the next level, come speak with us today!
- Direct, prepare or supervise cooking and other food preparation activities on a daily basis
- Monitor and oversee sanitation practices to ensure that regulations and standards of cleanliness are always being strictly adhered to by employees. Make corrections or terminate employees as needed when standards are not being followed
- Coordinate all food purchasing, budgeting and planning operations with other staff members
- Analyze recipes and make menu changes when necessary to keep customers happy and to minimize overhead costs when possible
- Meet with customers as needed to arrange menu items and negotiate prices for catering weddings, banquets and other special occasions
- Inspect cooking equipment, supplies, work areas and ingredients to ensure constant conformance to regulatory standards
- Determine when additional help is needed to maintain satisfactory service, then recruit, interview and hire staff when needed, including kitchen workers and cooks
- Establish production and staff schedules to ensure that there is sufficient help at all times to ensure timely delivery of food services
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Knowledge of food-related curriculum and training techniques
- Understanding of raw materials, quality control and other techniques for the effective creation and distribution of food products
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of food preparation regulations and standards
- Ability to use common kitchen tools, including cutlery, graters and ranges
- High school diploma
- Familiarity with analytical food and menu preparation software
If you want to attract the right professionals for your job opening, it is important to realize that writing a great chef job description is only the first step you should take. After you have perfected your job description, make sure you post it in all the right places so it is seen by your target audience.
In addition to regular job boards, there are also many free online job listing resources you can use to obtain the best results possible. While most readers will probably want to post to regular job boards, keep in mind that you can post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at one time by using MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!