Front desk receptionists usually act as gatekeepers for an office. They allow access to other employees, answer phones, transfer calls, schedule appointments, answer questions, give directions and manage the flow of traffic in the office. It is the front desk receptionist who greets anyone who enters the building.
As you create your front desk receptionist job description, you need to make sure it is clear that a friendly attitude is an essential quality an applicant must have. Receptionists should also be organized and find it easy to communicate clearly. They also need to be familiar with office equipment and procedures.
A front desk receptionist should also have a professional appearance and demeanor. When creating your front desk receptionist job description, you can use the following example as a guide.
Front Desk Receptionist Job Summary
We are looking for a professional with a friendly attitude and the ability to multitask to serve as our company’s front desk receptionist. In this position, you will greet guests entering the building and help direct them where they need to go. In addition, you’ll be responsible for answering and managing the phones. We are a large company with multiple offices in the building, and the job can be fast paced with little downtime. You will work a set schedule that’s free of weekend and evening hours. We also offer great benefits and vacation time from the moment you start working. We pride ourselves on providing a safe and welcoming atmosphere. If you enjoy people and are committed to doing excellent work, then we want to hear from you.
* Greet people entering the building, answering any questions, providing directions and alerting staff when someone is there to meet or visit them
* Answer a multiple line phone system, manage calls by routing them to the proper extensions or taking messages and delivering them within our message system along with setting up conference calls as requested
* Manage the building log of who is entering and exiting the building
* Accept deliveries and mail, organize them to be distributed to the correct recipients using the office mailing system and ensure they get to the recipient in a timely manner while also managing outgoing mail and packages for pickup
* Serve as the face of the company, offering friendly service to those entering the building or calling in on the phone
* Maintain the reception area, keeping it clean and free of clutter
* Assist new applicants who come into the building to apply for positions, including providing them with applications, pens and clipboards along with any reference material they may need, such as telephone directories or Wi-Fi passwords
* Handle filing and data entry as requested
Job Skills & Qualifications
* High school diploma or GED
* At least two years of training or experience in customer service and office work
* Computer proficiency
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to work independently
* College degree in business administration
A professional front desk receptionist job description will clearly define the duties, requirements and skills needed for the job so only qualified applicants will apply. Writing a strong description is a great way to attract the right people, but it is only the first step. You also need to make sure it gets in front of the right people. Do this by posting it to your website and social media pages, along with putting it on job boards.
Job boards are the places people go to find employment openings, so you should be sure to post on them. However, it is a tedious process to post to each one individually. Make things easier and post jobs for free across multiple boards at one time through MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!