HR generalists play a unique role in human resource departments because their skillset enables them to perform a variety of duties. Often, their primary responsibility is to facilitate communication between employees and management to ensure understanding and satisfaction. This overarching task is accomplished through hiring and recruiting qualified candidates, enforcing policies and procedures, setting payroll requirements, forming succession plans, distributing benefits programs and training employees.
In articulating desirable skills and characteristics in your HR generalist job description, your focus should be on such competencies as communication, listening and interpersonal skills. Additionally, the primary candidate will demonstrate sound decision-making abilities and attention to detail.
Because presentations are a frequent part of an HR generalist’s responsibilities, you should also be looking for someone who is a confident public speaker. This HR generalist job description will give you additional insight into the type of information to include.
HR Generalist Job Summary
As an HR generalist at our headquarters, you will function in a variety of capacities throughout our human resources department. You will have the opportunity to participate in recruiting events to identify and select potential candidates for open positions. As part of a panel of professionals, you will be able to interview applicants and train new hires in collaboration with departmental managers. You will be able to experience a variety of responsibilities, from payroll planning to developing benefits packages, maintaining succession plans and enforcing company-wide policies. With the ability to strengthen valuable skills like communication, public speaking and decision-making, you will have unprecedented opportunities for growth and advancement.
- Collaborate with departmental managers to assess employment needs, and participate in recruiting efforts to identify, interview, hire and train qualified candidates
- Analyze industry-wide publications for benchmarking statistics to develop competitive compensation packages that accurately reflect each employee’s skillset, experience and day-to-day responsibilities
- Develop payroll processes that adhere to organizational needs in ways that are efficient, dependable, consistent and confidential
- Consult with colleagues to create and modify benefits packages to incentivize, encourage and support employees; educate employees about what their benefits include and are limited to
- Conduct research to identify promising leaders within the company to build a succession plan that will effectively support organizational goals and the company mission in emergency situations
- Oversee auditing processes in multiple departments to ensure policies and procedures are being followed and to provide clarification on subjects that may be misunderstood
- Educate and train all employees on organizational behaviors, policies and procedures to guarantee that understanding is affirmed and resources are not underutilized
- Assess employee performance and issue evaluations to help individuals identify strengths and weaknesses and to help departments maintain a team of professional, motivated and efficient workers
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or applicable field
- 3+ years in a management or leadership position
- Confident presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Master’s degree in organizational behavior or related field
Polishing the final draft of your HR generalist job description is just the first step to finding the right person to fill the position. What comes next is arguably just as important: identifying which channels to use in sharing your posting and garnering the type of attention you desire. Some employers may choose to utilize social media. Others attend job fairs and gain exposure at university events. There are other options as well, including referrals and internal marketing.
Another highly valuable resource to consider is posting to online job boards. Here, candidates can filter search results to quickly identify jobs that appeal to their skillset and interests. It is also an excellent way for you to gain visibility in a way that is efficient and controlled. Consider using MightyRecruiter to get started and easily post jobs for free on hundreds of boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!