Laborers perform a variety of tasks that are primarily manual in nature. Laborers help businesses operate smoothly and efficiently by ensuring that materials and supplies are moved to the correct location as needed. Laborers may also be responsible for packing materials for transfer from one location to another, cleaning up working areas and cleaning vehicles. They may also be responsible for feeding material into and removing material from machines.
When composing the skills section of your laborer job description, you may want to emphasize physical stamina and hand-eye coordination. If the job requires the ability to lift heavy objects, be sure to specify the minimum weight-lifting requirement.
In addition, laborers should also have good listening skills and be able to follow instructions from supervisors. Depending on the industry, laborers may also be in contact with customers on a regular basis and should have good customer service skills. For a better understanding of what goes into a great laborer job description, reference the below example.
Laborer Job Summary
Are you the type of person who would be bored by a sedentary office job? If you are a hard-working professional who loves to work with your hands and learn valuable skills, you could be the perfect fit for our laborer job opening. You will love our fast-paced environment and will feel right at home with our team of friendly, motivated professionals. We will give you plenty of opportunities to stretch and challenge your abilities as you complete a wide variety of tasks and projects. Become a valued member of our team and take advantage of our top-quality training, advancement opportunities and
competitive pay rates.
- Sort and arrange cargo prior to unloading or loading on a daily basis
- Move materials such as stock, freight and supplies into and out of production and storage areas, containers, delivery vehicles or loading docks manually or with the use of tractors, trucks, lifts or other equipment
- Follow oral instructions and written work orders with preciseness to make sure assignments are completed exactly as directed and on time
- Mark containers with identifying information, including tags, labels and other identifiers
- Clear out and thoroughly clean work areas on a daily or weekly basis, making sure all hazardous materials are promptly and properly removed from work areas
- Assemble material-handling equipment or gear, including packaging, rigging or temporary material-handling structures
- Secure cargo to ensure that it arrives at its destination safely and in good condition
- Inspect equipment, materials and structures regularly and monitor cargo area conditions to ensure they are safe and in compliance with regulations
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Strong communication skills
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Ability to lift and handle heavy objects and machinery
- High school diploma or equivalent
When it comes to attracting the type of talent you want, writing a compelling laborer job description is only the first step. It is equally important to make sure you post your job description where it will attract the attention of the right people.
Online job boards are a great place to post your job description, but don’t forget to take advantage of other effective platforms as well. Post your description on social networks and on your own website to maximize exposure and get your posting in front of your intended audience. You can even encourage your employees to personally reach out to their social networks to inform contacts of the available job opening. To start strong and get the kind of response you are looking for, consider using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on hundreds of online job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!