A product marketing manager is responsible for outbound marketing activities for any number of products. They design and develop marketing programs and policies and decide how to create product positioning and messaging.
Product marketing managers need to understand the motivations of shoppers and the criteria they use to decide which products to purchase. Use the skills section of your product marketing manager job description to specify that applicants will require reliable market intelligence.
Strong communication skills are also necessary for product marketing managers, as they need to work with sales and marketing teams to determine how to share product messaging in the marketplace, so this is another important skill to include in your job listing. Review the example below for further guidelines on what to include in your product marketing manager job description.
Product Marketing Manager Job Summary
As a product marketing manager with our company, you’ll be in charge of all aspects of how our products are marketed to the public. You’ll make the important decisions about how our products will be presented, where and how to advertise products and all the other aspects of how our products go to market. Leading a small team of marketers and working closely with our sales team, you’ll analyze our current marketing strategies and how they’re working in order to make a plan to take our company and our products into the future. If you’re a dynamic, self-motivated professional who likes using your creativity to help create a strong marketing message that increases sales, we’d love to have you as part of our team.
- Design and develop all marketing strategies and programs; drive demand for our products with creative and innovative marketing practices
- Analyze new and existing marketing programs to determine effect on sales and augment marketing strategies as necessary
- Lead team of five marketing professionals to implement marketing programs on schedule and maintain detailed evaluations of the team’s work
- Work in tandem with the sales team to ensure our message is making it to market and evaluate consumers’ attitudes and feelings toward our products
- Act as a spokesperson for interactions with all news outlets and media, and represent the company at trade shows, industry events and conferences
- Oversee the production of all sales materials, including presentations, blog posts, advertisements and social media posts
- Write detailed plans for new product launches and manage implementation of launch plans
- Work to maintain strong market intelligence, keeping up to date on consumer and societal trends, researching the strategies of our competitors and making recommendations for changes to our own strategies
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or marketing or at least two years of marketing experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Deep knowledge of buyer motivations
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Previous experience as a marketing manager
- Previous experience as a team leader
Writing an appealing product marketing manager job description is a strong first step in finding the right candidate for your position. Once that’s accomplished, you have to post your job listing where the right person will see it.
Sharing your job on local media outlets can find you a few applicants in your area, but to amplify your search and bring in the most qualified candidates, you need to share your job on the big online job boards. Placing your position on the numerous job sites available is a time-consuming task, but MightyRecruiter can make it simple and easy with free job postings to hundreds of online job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!