Shift supervisors function in a variety of roles to encourage team performance, professional conduct and superior results. One of their key responsibilities is leading a group of employees by assisting with trainings, fostering positive relationships and being prepared to answer questions. Other tasks include monitoring inventory, ordering needed materials or supplies, coordinating schedules and shift activities, managing cash and mediating in situations where a customer has a request or complaint.
Applicants will look to your shift supervisor job description for information about the types of skills you expect and require. Critical skills to include are leadership, communication, time management and self-motivation. Candidates should also be able to contribute to team performance by setting an example and remaining motivated, encouraging and enthusiastic under pressure.
Decision-making and problem solving skills are also important competencies to highlight. This shift supervisor job description is an illustration of how to order content for optimal clarity.
Shift Supervisor Job Summary
As a shift supervisor at our mall location, you will have the chance to interact with your team and customers on a daily basis. Your enthusiasm and leadership skills will play an integral role in motivating your team and encouraging professional, helpful and reputable performance and service. You will be able to learn about managing inventory counts and identifying how much product to order for efficient fulfillment needs. Whether you are aligning schedules, coordinating shift duties, assisting customers or closing out cash registers at the end of the day, your unique array of tasks will provide opportunities for personal and professional growth. If you excel at leading others and are self-motivated and able to manage your time, this position may be just what you are looking for.
- Create schedules based off of employee availability, and coordinate shift activities and tasks based on the team’s experience and skill set; plan ahead for situations where an employee doesn’t show up or is unable to cover his or her shift
- Greet each employee as they arrive for a shift, and confirm that he or she is aware of designated responsibilities; provide encouragement and evaluate job performance in a personal setting when necessary
- Participate in providing customer service by welcoming customers, answering their questions, pitching current promotions and ringing up purchases
- Maintain an organized and professional storefront by setting the precedent of organizing, cleaning and adjusting displays that lack order
- Oversee all cash management, including payments received and refunds given; thoroughly count and document end-of-shift cash amounts, and keep track of discrepancies for reconciliation purposes
- Intervene in situations where a customer is dissatisfied with a product or the service received; come up with viable solutions that reflect the company’s integrity and are beneficial to the customer
- Collaborate with other shift managers to provide trainings to employees on company policies, procedures and required conduct
- Manage inventory counts, and use specific algorithms and fulfillment software to determine how much product to order
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Three to five years of experience in a management role
- Leadership and communication skills are a must
- Bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity with inventory and financial management
Once you have written and edited your shift supervisor job description, you have completed the first step in recruiting a viable candidate. Next, you have to share your information with interested applicants who possess the skills you require. Advertising on social media, directing applicants to your website, using referral lists and even handing out flyers at a job fair are all valuable options.
If you are looking for a fast and easy way to share your posting where it will immediately be visible to a lot of people, posting to an online job board is an excellent solution. MightyRecruiter can help you get started with everything you need to post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!