Writers create content to be published through a variety of outlets, such as online, in magazines and newspapers, in books (both fiction and nonfiction), in advertising materials and as television, radio and movie scripts. Before they can write, however, they must research their subject matter through research and interviews.
As you compose your writer job description, emphasize traits like research, editing and critical thinking skills in addition to basic writing and creative skills. Adaptability is another important attribute of a successful writer, because he or she will need to be able to take direction and make changes to work when requested.
Perseverance and social perceptiveness are vital for writers. These qualities help them to keep at a project until it is completed and to learn how an audience reacts to content. To find out more about what to include in your writer job description, see the example below.
Writer Job Summary
Do you have a way with words? Can you explain complex technical or scientific concepts in plain English? Do you notice spelling and grammatical errors on the internet and on signs around town (and point them out to your friends)? Our company is searching for a talented writer who can make our products and services understandable and accessible to the general population through blog posts, social media and advertising copy. As the newest member of our marketing division, you will be joining a team of professionals who understand what the writing life is like. You will have access to our vast research library, and you will enjoy creative freedom within our clearly defined parameters.
- Interview sources, including on-site engineers, programmers and product developers, to gain an in-depth understanding of our products, services and business solutions
- Create, edit and revise customer-facing materials, in-house correspondence and technical documentation
- Create press releases to coincide with each new product or service release, as well as company milestones and special events
- Contribute articles to local and regional publications on a weekly basis, on a variety of topics related to our industry, current events and local business developments
- Assist with script-writing for brief television and radio spots, supplying technical details and verifying that our products and services are accurately represented
- Collaborate with other teams, including management, product design and engineering, to ensure cohesive branding and public relations
- Consult on public relations projects, creation of marketing materials and product user guides
- Develop original content and revise previously published business materials, including product and service guides, direct mail campaign materials and business-to-business presentation materials
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and three years’ experience as a technical writer or copywriter, or equivalent education and experience
- Familiarity with AP style
- Published clips or letters of reference from previous employers
- Familiarity with basic coding and programming
- Skill in Microsoft Office
Taking the time to craft an informative and appealing writer job description is just the first step in the process of finding your next great employee. Once you have ironed out all the details, you will need to post your job ad where it will be seen and responded to.
Always start with your company’s internal job boards and your website’s employment page. Once you have posted there, it is time to branch out to some internet job boards so you can reach even more potential candidates. To help make the biggest impact, you can use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!