Account representatives can work in a variety of industries, from retail sales to healthcare. They are the first point of contact between the business and its customers. Most account representatives perform the majority of their job on the telephone or computer, but some work in a more on-site role. Account representatives answer questions, listen to customer difficulties and implement solutions to address those concerns.
The main job of an account representative is to positively interact with customers. A positive approach combined with excellent customer service skills is paramount, so when you write an account representative job description of your own, remember to include those skills.
Through active listening skills and positive interactions, skilled account representatives can make customers aware of additional services or products that may meet their needs. Check out this account representative job description template for more ideas on how to write your own.
Account Representative Job Summary
If you like making a positive difference and pride yourself on your stellar customer service skills, Alliant Health has a position for you as an account representative in our healthcare access department. Account representatives are the face of Alliant as they converse with customers via the phone, online chat or email. As a proactive problem solver, you will add value to customer interaction by anticipating their needs and providing additional resources to meet their concerns. Account representatives at Alliant work across departmental boundaries, referring customers to both billing and health coaching departments when appropriate. Our friendly team atmosphere is focused on customer satisfaction, and there are immediate opportunities, so apply today!
- Listen to customer concerns and answer questions regarding healthcare access and coverage while ensuring Alliant has the most up-to-date account information possible on customers and their families
- Research network healthcare providers and communicate this information to customers via telephone, online chat or email, providing additional information about Alliant services that can be a health management resource for the customer
- Listen to issues with providers or coverage and give proactive and positive solution options, documenting customer interactions in our Alliant database
- Comply with all federal and state rules and regulations regarding health insurance administration and medical records
- Work professionally with team members, management and customers at all times, utilizing both verbal and written communication
- Organize and prioritize workflow in a fast paced environment in order to meet or exceed goals for response timeliness and call length
- Refer customers to the billing department when appropriate and personally introduce customer to billing representative
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Commitment to customer service with excellent verbal communication skills
- Experience in Microsoft Word document production
- Experience with Excel spreadsheets
- Previous experience in a healthcare industry customer service role
Account Representative Job Responsibilities
As you set out to write an account representative job description, the job responsibilities section may be the area where you spend the most time. This is the part of the description that jobseekers will use to determine whether they are a good fit for the job. Use this section to outline the daily responsibilities an employee will handle, as well as examples of additional duties you may ask an employee to complete.
As you’ve already read, it’s a good idea to use bullets to format this section for easy reading. This format makes it easy for jobseekers to quickly get a full understanding of the goals you have for both the position and necessary duties. As you complete this section of your account representative job description, you may want to review it to be sure you’ve begun each bullet with an action verb and that you’ve limited the section to about 6-8 points.
We’ve included some good examples of account representative job responsibilities:
- Contribute to market strategy by tracking competitive products and customer response
- Initiate new sales opportunities by making presentations, scheduling appointments and updating accounts
- Communicate with clients regularly regarding campaign goals, deliverables and other relevant information
- Respond promptly to clients who’ve communicated through email, online forums or phone service
- Provide call reports and feedback to management team
Account Representative Job Specifications
At first, you may feel that the qualifications and skills section of your account representative job description will be quick and easy to write. However, this short section can save you a lot of extra work when written correctly. Make the effort to ensure that you have included those skills that will lead you to the candidates who have the most to offer. When you’ve clearly outlined the minimum job requirements and some additional specifications that could boost the chance for employment, you may find that you’ll have fewer applications to sift through in your search for the right employee.
Save yourself from turning away both overqualified and underqualified candidates by talking to team leaders. You’ll want to get information about the account representative job specifications that are absolutely necessary and those that would be advantageous to a jobseeker. Use two lists to share these job requirements so that candidates can easily recognize whether they qualify for the job.
Check out some examples of job specifications that can boost the impact of your account representative job description:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, maintaining organization and positive manner
- Minimum of five years of marketing experience
- Marketing, communications or related college degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Typing speed of 50 WPM minimum
- 10-key skills preferred