Accounting assistants perform a wide range of tasks that ultimately help an accounting firm run smoothly on a day-to-day basis. These professionals are mainly responsible for producing financial documentation, updating statements and recording financial transactions in the appropriate ledgers.
In the skills section of your accounting assistant job description, you should highlight how important it is for your hire to be highly organized and adept at problem solving. This person should also be friendly, with a tendency to be extremely detail-oriented.
Additionally, accounting assistants should have basic knowledge of accounting and record-keeping programs, like QuickBooks. They should also have good computer skills and be familiar with basic accounting statements. Use the example below to get a better feel for what your own accounting assistant job description should include.
Accounting Assistant Job Summary
As an accounting assistant at our expanding CPA firm, you will be an integral member of a team responsible for handling over 500 client accounts. In addition to updating financial ledgers and recording transactions with accurate information, you will gain greater familiarity with financial accounting software that our firm and many other firms use. You will also work on large group projects designed to promote client success and financial profitability as a consultant and record keeper. This is a great position for someone with basic financial record keeping and accounting skills who wants to refine their abilities and work towards career mobility.
- Calculate and check payments to make sure they are correct, and record them in the right financial ledger for future reference and use
- Work with financial ledgers, journals, and sales and purchase ledgers on a daily basis
- Sort incoming and outgoing mail every morning and afternoon, and answer any questions from potential and current clients
- Manage petty cash payments made by members of the team and record any transactions in the correct expense account
- Make copies of incoming financial records and file them in the right client account on an ongoing basis
- Run depreciation software program to determine the value of depreciable assets owned and maintained by the firm
- Reconcile firm bank statements by ensuring all transactions have been posted and comparing them with the general ledger to determine if any inaccuracies need to be rectified
- Contribute to the organization as a whole by maintaining a team-oriented demeanor and participating in company events as they are scheduled
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Working knowledge of spreadsheets and basic accounting software
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Associate’s degree in accounting or bookkeeping
- Experience working with QuickBooks
- Two years of experience working in an accounting firm
Putting together an accounting assistant job description is just the first thing you need to do to find the right person for your growing team. After your job description is ready to go, you have to make sure it’s seen by the right people by posting it on multiple sites that are geared towards helping you attract top talent to your team.
There are many different spots, like social media and even your own website, that are valuable places to post your job description. Another great way to get the word out there about your open position is to utilize a tool where you can post to hundreds of job boards all at once, a process that can save you time. Post jobs for free with MightyRecruiter and get your search for the right applicant off on the right foot.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter