A well-written job description is an invaluable tool in the hiring process. It can help attract more qualified candidates, which in turn makes your job a little bit easier. However, you have to know the right elements to include to make your explanation descriptive, engaging and concise. Jobseekers, like you, are busy people who don’t want to spend their day deciphering a job description. You have to create something that is easy to read and informative.
Make all of your description clear and to the point to get the best results. You need to clearly define the position itself, the day-to-day responsibilities, the qualifications and the company. You can use the following Accounting Director job description sample to make writing your own explanation a little smoother.
Accounting Director Job Summary
As Accounting Director, you will be expected to monitor, supervise and evaluate all daily accounting activities. You will also have to develop and implement accounting systems to collect, analyze, verify and report a myriad of financial information. You will be expected to work with other members of the accounting team.
Accounting Director Job Responsibilities
- Assign projects to the other staff members to ensure accuracy and compliance with company policies
- Direct the day-to-day actions of the entire accounting department
- Enforce the correct accounting policies, methods and principles
- Complete annual audits to ensure accuracy
- Meet financial objectives through collaboration and delegation
- Produce financial statements by monitoring and evaluating accounting data
- Streamline systems and processes and initiate corrective actions when necessary
- Create and sustain fiscal records and other files to accurately document transactions
- Recommend products and services to maximize sales margins
- Keep knowledge up-to-date by attending workshops, conferences and other educational opportunities
Accounting Director Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Proven knowledge of accounting regulations, practices and standards
- 3-5 years of prior experience as an Accounting Manager
- Innovative computer skills on MS Office and accounting databases and software
- Attention to detail, organization and accuracy
- Strong management skills
- Ability to work with large amounts of complex data
Samwise Industrial has been in business since 1997. We have worked hard to make ourselves one of the leading industrial manufacturers in the Southwestern region. We value honesty, integrity and family, and these values show themselves in our company environment. We strive to keep long-lasting relationships with our clients, which is why we hold our employees to a higher standard.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- Using the above Accounting Director job description sample can help you write your own outstanding position explanation. However, you need to create something that is unique and eye-catching. To that end, you need to be aware of job description writing best practices, so you can make your job portrayal your own.
- Keep your paragraphs short and use bullet points when appropriate to ensure your description is highly readable. You don’t want your important points to be missed.
- Include specific examples of responsibilities, qualifications and characteristics of the position, so you can be as transparent as possible. Specifics will ensure that you attract the most qualified applicants.
- If it’s fitting with your company’s policies, you should include the salary range and benefits of the position. Defining these benefits will make the position more appealing to candidates.
- When possible, give your company a personality. This will help set your company apart, and it will give applicants a clear idea of the work environment.
- Always include clear contact information. Is there a form applicants should submit, or should they just send an email with their resume? Whatever you want them to do, make it clear.
- Include a call to action at the end. Let them know that they should submit their resume or email the hiring manager.
- Make the job title clear. Anything vague will make it hard for interested parties to find the description, and you may attract people who aren’t really qualified.
- While you want to make sure that your post is informative, you don’t want to write a novel. Keep your post concise without being vague.
- Try to keep your language action based. This will make the responsibilities more engaging.
As you write your own description, be sure to use both the above best practices and Accounting Director job description sample. These tools will make it easier for you to write a well-written position explanation that will attract qualified applicants. Put the time in now, so you can have an easier time finding applicants that will be able to benefit the company.
Want to use this job description?
Accounting Director Job Responsibilities
When a jobseeker reads your accounting director job description, he or she needs to know the fundamental responsibilities you want your new hire to perform. Ensure that this segment of your posting is explicitly written to convey your expectations, as well as how the individual you choose will contribute to your organization’s success. These will typically include daily tasks as well as other critical job functions.
As you draft this portion of your accounting director job description, remember that readability and clarity are your top priorities. Employing a bullet list calls attention to the job requirements, and strong action verbs help spell out what your ideal candidate will do in the position. Although this list will be the most important part of your posting, you must be selective and include only the central, primary responsibilities of the job.
As a guide, we’ve provided a short list of accounting director job responsibilities you’ll typically see in a job description:
- Predict cash flow requirements to meet financial obligations and maintain organization’s liquidity
- Devise effective tax strategies by learning regulations, then present recommendations to senior management
- Hire, train, coach and conduct performance reviews of accounting department staff
- Draft departmental policies, procedures, standards and strategies to guide accounting staff and operations toward efficiency, accuracy, stability and growth goals
- Prepare budgets, reports and forecasts by collecting, analyzing and organizing financial data
Accounting Director Job Specifications
Just as you inform jobseekers about key responsibilities in your accounting director job description, you also must communicate the skills, experience and educational background needed to perform these tasks. These usually include soft skills, technical knowledge, career-specific schooling and on-the-job expertise earned by your ideal candidate. To attract the right person for your position, you must adequately disclose what you’re looking for in an unambiguous fashion. That way, you’ll wade through fewer responses from applicants who don’t meet the requirements for the job.
Follow some vital best practices when drafting the job qualifications and skills section of your accounting director job description. First, meet with the new hire’s direct supervisor or manager to better understand the job’s essential requirements. As you cooperate with this person to create your list, be sure to segregate required skills, experience and schooling from preferred qualifications.
Take a look at these common accounting director job specifications for some good examples:
- Superior mathematical and analytical skills
- Previous experience creating budgets, financial reports and forecasts
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting or related field
- Certified Public Accountant licensure
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and ERP systems (SAP, NetSuite, Oracle or Odoo)
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)