Accounts clerks record and maintain financial information, including receipts and expenditures as well as accounts receivable and accounts payable. They also create reports and statements, balance books and make notes of reporting discrepancies.
As you create your accounts clerk job description, focus on the fact that employees in this position need to be happy working with numbers and using basic math skills on a daily basis. They also need a background in accounting, bookkeeping or similar fields.
Taking classes in accounting is a good way for a job seeker to prepare for a role as an accounts clerk, so think about what level of education you will require from your candidates, and whether you will require any specific certification. Consult the accounts clerk job description template below for more ideas of what to include in your posting.
Accounts Clerk Job Summary
Are you a math lover with a high level of accuracy, even noticing mathematical or grammatical errors in everyday situations? Do you pride yourself on your attention to detail? Do you get satisfaction from seeing transactions in perfect balance? If this sounds like you, read on. Our firm is seeking an accounts clerk to help us maintain accurate records and keep an eye out for errors. As the latest addition to our bookkeeping team, you would oversee the recording of receipts and expenditures from all sources as well as the creation of monthly, quarterly and yearly profit and loss statements.
- Enter accurate data into appropriate software systems, balance accounts and generate corresponding reports for distribution to relevant departments
- Create and maintain organized filing systems, both online and on-site, to be accessed by the entire clerical team
- Compile financial records and reports using computer software, including spreadsheets, accounting software, online bank records and ledgers
- Ensure accuracy of statements and records, including both mathematical correctness and appropriate coding
- Operate computers, 10-key devices and other business machines as needed to create records and reports and to complete other tasks as assigned
- Process cash, check, credit card and work order transactions, prepare daily deposits and process payroll for all departments
- Ensure that payables are processed in an expedient manner and work with vendors to collect receivable accounts, including those that are past due
- Maintain confidentiality and security in relation to client accounts, personal information (both client and employee) and proprietary information by adhering to established processes and procedures
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma
- College-level coursework in accounting, bookkeeping or related field
- Proficiency in Excel, QuickBooks and Microsoft Office
- Associate’s degree or above in accounting or related field
- 3 or more years’ experience in a comparable role
When you are searching for the ideal person for the opening in your accounting department, writing an eye-catching and informative accounts clerk job description is only the first step. Once you have polished it to communicate exactly what your company has to offer and what you are looking for, you need a way of getting it out into the public eye.
Encourage your current employees to spread the word about the position, and post it on your company website. After you have done that, decide which job boards you want to post to. Creating some posts outside of your immediate geographic area can be a good idea if you want to attract a diverse pool of candidates, especially if you offer relocation assistance. Wherever you decide to advertise, remember that MightyRecruiter can help you post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards with ease.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter