Before writing an administrative services manager job description, you need to have a solid understanding of the job. The general responsibilities are usually supervising administrative office operations. Administrative services managers order office supplies, record information, develop company procedures, follow budgets, plan maintenance and repair for office equipment and supervise the office staff.
As you picture the perfect candidate for this job, consider some of the qualities that make a great administrative services manager. It’s helpful to have a college degree in business to do well in this role. It’s also important to have experience supervising others or managing a department to succeed here.
Employers looking for the perfect candidate should also consider other essential attributes in their job description. Someone with experience working in an office setting or in supply could be ready for this job. Before you start writing, consult the administrative services manager job description below.
Administrative Services Manager Job Summary
Are you looking for a place in a company where you can put your amazing leadership skills and top planning abilities to use? Are you highly organized and always looking to improve procedures to make you and your colleagues more efficient? If so, consider joining our team as an administrative services manager. We are looking for a dynamic leader who is able to support our company by overseeing the administrative department in the front office. You will be the go-to person for making sure everything is running smoothly at the front office so our organization can continue to grow and make an impact.
- Lead the office staff in the administrative services department of our company by writing the weekly schedule, supervising work tasks and providing guidance to individual administrative employees
- Analyze office operations each week by preparing reports that detail task completion and resource usage and making changes when necessary
- Motivate the administrative staff by creating monthly goals for productivity and efficiency and reviewing goals periodically for completion
- Oversee the office supply ordering process by reviewing stock each day, ordering materials when needed and organizing supplies as they come in
- Review standard operating procedures for the administrative office and develop new policies as needed to help improve company performance
- Train new office staff hires by reviewing company expectations, having new staff shadow an experienced employee and evaluating task performance as they take on new responsibilities
- Communicate with upper management and other department heads each month with updates about new office policies and challenges in the administrative sector
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance or a related subject
- Experience working in an office setting
- Proven record of results in a supervisory role
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency with accounting software
- Experience ordering office supplies
- Background in training, coaching or tutoring
Want to use this job description?
Administrative Services Manager Job Responsibilities
Why is the section detailing the administrative services manager job responsibilities the meatiest part of a job description? It details primary duties so that jobseekers understand what daily life on the job looks like. In this section, you illustrate the parameters for the job, which reduces the number of unqualified and uninterested applicants.
To better describe duties in such a way that jobseekers easily imagine themselves in the position, follow the best practices discussed. Ensure it is well-written and easy to skim. Even the most serious jobseeker only spends a minute or two assessing the potential for a job. The decision depends on the way the administrative services manager job description markets the job. Using bullet points and strong action verbs are key steps in drafting a strong responsibilities section. Avoid listing every single duty so that it becomes an exhausting list; instead, focus on the most important duties. Be sure to include any that are unique to your company.
The following are some examples of duties to include in your administrative services manager job description:
- Manage employee schedules and ensure all shifts are adequately covered
- Analyze and prepare reports detailing operational tasks
- Review internal processes to determine ways to increase efficiency and productivity
- Order office supplies on a regular basis to avoid running low on essential items
Administrative Services Manager Job Specifications
When you write your administrative services manager job description, spend adequate time creating the job qualifications and skills section. Although it might not take up much room, it is one of the most important sections. It details the criteria to reduce the number of unqualified applicants. Instead of wasting your time combing through hundreds of unsuited resumes, develop a strong list of administrative services manager job specifications. This allows jobseekers to assess for themselves their eligibility for the position.
How is this done? Start with a lengthy conversation with the current employee, managers, supervisors, associated employees and executives to determine the necessary training, education and skills for an applicant. Discuss what the ideal person needs on the first day and what he or she learns on the job. Divide this list into must-haves and preferred. This may include technical skills or soft skills. When you write your specifications, incorporate these two lists into separate bullet points to make it clear to the candidates what you expect from them.
The following demonstrates some key specifications to include in your administrative services manager job description:
- 3-5 years’ experience as an administrative services manager
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat
- Fluent in Spanish
- Strong problem solving and communication skills