To find the perfect person to be your next admissions director for your hospital, you want to attract the right candidates without having to read thousands of unnecessary resumes. By creating a well-written admissions director hospital job description, you not only reduce the chance of unqualified people applying, but you also have a rubric by which to assess applicants. This helps you to hire someone who will be able to easily handle the job while also fitting in with your company culture. To help you create the best posting possible for your new employee, we have an Admissions Director Hospital job description sample below.
Admissions Director Hospital Job Summary
You will direct the admissions process for patients coming to the hospital for both inpatient and outpatient services. This includes creating and implementing new best practices for more efficient admission procedures. You will also have a role in promoting the hospital and developing and maintain strategies to generate revenue and maintain patient satisfaction.
Admissions Director Hospital Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Manages Human Resources for admissions including developing job descriptions and accountability, communicating with staff members, enforcing policies and procedures, recruiting and training new hires, developing discipline programs, appraising and monitoring contribution of the individuals in the department, and determining compensation.
- Develops strategies for efficient organization of the admissions department using strategic thinking and problem solving while remaining in line with objectives of the organization.
- Evaluates past trends to estimate and forecast future needs to anticipate the requirements of the hospital.
- Solves problems and develops the corrective action to minimize the impact of any such problems.
- Calculate the financial needs and budget of the department based on past history and future forecasts.
- Increases revenues through finding, anticipating, and resolving short-term and long-term reimbursement issues with both patient-pay and third-party pay.
- Communicates with nursing and professional staff in all departments for a more improved patient care and interdepartmental relations.
- Interacts with patients to discuss current and future service needs to help forecast requirements and implements any necessary changes.
- Oversees the hospital community to ensure that it adheres to the hospital policies and procedures as well as all federal, local and state certification requirements, and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations standards.
- Remains up to date on professional and technical knowledge through continuing education courses, workshops, publications, networking opportunities, and more.
Admissions Director Hospital Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Services, Long-term Care Administration, Gerontology, or related field
- 3-5 years experience as an admissions director in a hospital or similar health care facility or 5-7 years experience working in admissions with some supervisorial experience
- Understanding of EHR systems
- Knowledge of medical terminology and applicable coding and classification
- Proven leader with the ability to settle disputes and discipline when needed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Empathetic with a strong understanding of patient’s concerns and needs
All Saints Regional Hospital has a proud history of serving our community for over a century. We strive to provide the best patient care while using the latest in healthcare technology. Our mission is to provide patient-centered, evidence-based care.
What to Include in Your Admissions Director Hospital Job Description
Before sitting down and writing the admissions director hospital job description, it is important to consider what to actually include in it. You want to be clear and concise to create an accurate picture of the job, but you also do not want to write a novel. Most job seekers will have limited attention spans and only looking for a few key items before choosing to apply to a potential job.
• Title and Brief Summery – every job description should start with a title and brief description. You may have to develop the job title if it is a new position. The title should accurately portray the type of work expected from the employee, as well as adhere to industry standards. You should also include a quick summery that hits the major responsibilities and qualifications required that is roughly one to three sentences.
• Main Responsibilities – The next part of your posting should include the key functions that the person will perform in the position. It is beneficial to list these as bullet points and include around five to 10 different points. It is best to use action verbs in the present tense when describing the work. You should be as transparent as possible so that potential candidates get a good idea of what to expect from their daily work as an admissions director.
• Required Skills and Qualifications – Your job posting needs to explicitly detail the skills and qualifications you expect from the job holder. You may have a section for required skills and another for recommended or preferred skills if there is something that you would like to have but will consider a candidate who does not have it. This could include education, professional certificates, years of experience, proficiency in certain computer programs, and other qualifications or skills that you feel are essential for the position.
• Company Profile – You want to include information about your hospital on your admissions director hospital job description. This information should include some essential information, as well as the company’s mission and goals. It is also important to include some information about the company culture so that a prospective candidate can determine whether or not he or she would be a good fit.
Your posting should impart all the relevant information so that your potential employees can easily decide whether or not they are qualified for the position and would fit in with your company.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing Your Admissions Director Hospital: Do’s and Don’ts
When compiling your admissions director hospital job description, keep the following dos and don’ts in mind to help you create a dynamite listing.
• Do talk to the person currently holding the position for a better understanding of what to include.
• Do be clear about how to submit an application and/or resume and make it an easy process.
• Don’t forget to include the job’s location, including if there is any potential for some remote work or travel between sites.
• Do consider adding salary range and benefits if allowed by your company policy.
• Don’t be so vague that you receive thousands of irrelevant job applications.
• Do include some keywords to help the posting be found in searches.
With a clear description and easy application process, you will find that you receive a better candidate pool from which to start interviewing prospective people. This will help you find the right person to be your new admissions director for your hospital.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The above admissions director hospital job description sample may be a great starting place for creating your next job posting. However, you may have other open positions for which you do not have a similar outline. When developing your new job descriptions, whether or not you are following an outline, be sure to follow these best practices to help ensure you have a strong pool of candidates.
- Do break it up with easy-to read bullet points and titles to make it simple for jobseekers to search the listing and find the relevant information.
- Don’t be vague about the job duties. You want to be as specific as possible to weed out unqualified or uninterested candidates. Although you want to be as concise, you also want to create an accurate picture of the job.
- Do include information about your company culture to ensure that you find people who will not only perform the job well but also fit in with your current staff.
- Don’t make it difficult for job seekers to apply to the position.
Whether you use a template or outline or create your job description from scratch, the above admissions director hospital job description sample and best practices create a strong foundation on which to build something that will attract the right candidates.