To write a great adult literacy teacher job description, you’ll need to know the responsibilities tied to this position. Adult literacy teachers work with learners on developing English understanding and important literacy job skills. They may also help prepare adult students to pass the high school equivalency test.
It’s a common requirement for a literacy teacher to have an undergraduate or advanced degree in education or another related field. Educators may also need to be licensed to teach in the state of employment. In order to qualify to teach adult students, the college preparation course of study must have included a set schedule of classes.
A student teaching experience is usually another requirement to get hired. Additionally, adult literacy teachers should be excellent communicators and sensitive to other cultures. Look below at the adult literacy teacher job description template to see more ideas for your posting.
Adult Literacy Teacher Job Summary
If you have the perfect combination of a commitment to serving others and a background in adult education, we are searching for you. Our company is seeking an adult literacy teacher for the upcoming school year. In this position, you will teach classes of motivated adult learners and prepare them to take the GED exam after a few months. You will be working with students from various backgrounds and with a wide range of abilities and English-fluency skills. With your help, your students will be able to progress beyond the basics of literacy and go on to find better opportunities for themselves and their families.
- Prepare lessons and instructional activities each day based on student interests, ability level, English proficiency and other factors in the class
- Plan classwork and homework assignments to support students’ understanding of course objectives and basic skills for literacy
- Develop weekly class assessments to measure each student’s mastery level of benchmark skills and determine progress in the class
- Provide daily instruction to students using a variety of sound teaching methods, such as whole class instruction, collaborative practice and independent task completion
- Review progress with students throughout the year in individual meetings and discuss methods to help make improvements
- Create units of study based on common course objectives, best practices in education and tested skills on the GED assessment
- Maintain an orderly classroom during instruction and other times by establishing procedures for students and expectations for behavior
- Partner with other education professionals and refer students who need additional remedial help in English or another subject when appropriate
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in adult literacy, ESOL or education
- Completion of an internship in adult literacy education
- Certified literacy teacher
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Two or more years of experience working with adult learners
- Master’s degree in education or a related field
- Proficiency in Spanish
After you successfully put together a polished adult literacy teacher job description, you’ll ten need to share the job posting in a most effective manner. Professional educators in this field are harder to find than other types of teachers.
While posting your job description on your organization’s website can help, you’ll need to do more than that to cast a wider net and find more potential talented applicants. There’s always a good chance that someone looking for a position will come across your website, but it’s best to find your ideal candidate instead of relying on applicants to find you. Most successful job postings are advertised through the hundreds of job boards located online. You can get help with this step by using MightyRecruiter, which gives you a way to post to free job boards more effectively.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter