Advertising sales agents are the professionals responsible for representing advertising spaces to individuals and companies. They make it possible for businesses to purchase ads in newspapers, magazines and websites, as well as physical locations, such as billboards. They place and receive calls from possible clients, follow up on interested clients and travel to clients’ offices to discuss and explain advertising opportunities.
Marketing is at the heart of the advertising agent position. Your advertising sales agent job description should make this requirement clear and emphasize its importance. Candidates need to exhibit an understanding of marketing principals so they can explain the benefits of each unique advertising space.
Communication is also essential to this position. Any interested candidates need strong interpersonal skills because most of their time will be spent talking with clients and persuading them to purchase advertising space. This advertising sales agent job description template demonstrates how to include this information.
Advertising Sales Agent Job Summary
Join our dedicated and dynamic advertising house. Everyone on our team of sales agents are committed to helping our clients make the most of their business. We are looking for a candidate who has a firm grasp on marketing, economics and business practices, as well as the ability to communicate and discuss these principals with clients. You should be persuasive with a history in marketing or service and have excellent interpersonal skills. All our sales agents work hard to answer questions clients have and make recommendations for success. To fit in, you must be just as committed to helping others and working hard.
- Maintain a set number of accounts, making calls to clients on a weekly basis to discuss advertising opportunities and recommend specific advertising spots
- Place calls to potential new clients and implement sales techniques to persuade companies to purchase advertising space from us
- Answer calls every day from interested clients, relaying information, answering questions and setting up meeting appointments
- Maintain working knowledge of marketing space openings, including their benefits, to provide this information to clients quickly and accurately
- Create contracts for clients to sign and take the time to explain all information found in the contract and guide clients through the process
- Perform market research to determine new marketing opportunities as well as plans to capitalize on them effectively
- Receive and review information about clients’ products or services to better serve them and provide a strategy that is tailored toward their specific needs
- Attend sales meetings, meet sales quotas and fulfill administrative tasks
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least two years of experience in marketing and sales
- High school diploma or GED completion
- One year minimum experience in the service industry
- Associate degree or higher in marketing
Want to use this job description?
Advertising Sales Agent Job Responsibilities
Writing an advertising sales agent job description is no easy task. It requires a deft hand at writing in clear and concise language so that the daily functions of the position are easy for jobseekers to understand. A large wall of text is often distracting and difficult to engage in, so be sure to format this section with bullets as mentioned earlier. The bulleted format makes your advertising sales agent job description much easier to skim and simplifies large blocks of information for jobseekers. Make sure each bullet begins with a verb to give jobseekers a good image of what the position will be like and keep the number of bullets in the 6-8 range.
The job responsibilities section is their first impression of what the job will be like. This section should be heavily detailed but need not be comprehensive. Write this section with the foremost duties in mind and leave out secondary obligations.
Take a look at these examples of advertising sales agent job responsibilities for your writing:
- Recommend appropriate sizes and formats for customers’ various advertising projects, depending on choice of medium
- Deliver finished advertising proofs or illustrations to customers for approval
- Make contracts for advertising work performed and collect resulting payments
- Identify new markets and determine which products to use
Advertising Sales Agent Job Specifications
It is common for employers to assume that the job qualifications and skills section of the advertising sales agent job description would be a quick and easy piece to write. However, these requirements are just as important the rest of the description. If poorly written, you can count on your inbox filling up with countless resumes from unfit applicants.
Prevent this from happening by sitting down with your senior leadership to outline the necessary qualifications and skills. This will give you a firm grasp of their expectations for employees in this position as well as the direction you should take when writing your advertising sales agent job description requirements. To ensure that jobseekers also understand what they want, include two separate lists detailing the non-negotiable skills from those that you simply prefer. Although these short lists aren’t much more than the basic standards for application, they have the potential to save you a considerable amount of time.
For inspiration before you begin writing, consider these examples of advertising sales agent job specifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years of experience in advertising or related work
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills
- Comfortable with deadlines
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills