Aerospace engineers are responsible for designing and testing prototypes of spacecraft, aircraft, missiles and satellites. They may work in certain specializations such as structural design, aerodynamic fluid flow, navigation and guidance, communication and instrumentation, propulsion or robotics. Aerospace engineers evaluate and coordinate designs to make sure they meet safety and customer requirements.
When writing your aerospace engineer job description, make sure that you include important qualities that you want to see in an applicant. Strong analytical skills along with problem-solving and critical-thinking skills are extremely important in an aerospace engineer. Being proficient in math, such as trigonometry and calculus, is also an important attribute.
Because the work of engineers needs to meet standards set by the federal government, applicants should be knowledgeable in common business practices and commercial law. To get an idea about how these qualities fit into your aerospace engineer job description, check out the example below.
Aerospace Engineer Job Summary
As an aerospace engineer for our company, you will have the opportunity to design, analyze and test intensive software applications and provide modeling of navigation, autopilot, IMU and airframe response. While you will enjoy working with little supervision, you will also collaborate closely with other professionals to identify and troubleshoot various issues. The environment is fast-paced and is perfect for someone who is highly self-motivated. You will be required to use your background in engineering and advanced mathematics on a daily basis. The job comes with a high amount of responsibility, and you will often be asked to provide operational support to clients from the NOAA, NASA and USGS government.
- Create mathematical models and computer analysis methods to design, evaluate or modify existing designs to meet engineering requirements from clients; conduct stress, operational, experimental or environmental tests on prototypes of aerospace equipment and systems
- Develop and maintain internal software analysis tools to evaluate system performance
- Conduct operational safety investigations and coordinate with other professionals to correct issues; maintain regular records of performance reports
- Prepare technical reports, bulletins and handbooks for use by management, engineering staff or clients
- Develop design criteria, such as environmental standards, production costs, testing methods, completion dates or quality standards, for aerospace systems and products
- Direct activities of technical and engineering personnel involved in the fabrication, design and testing of aerospace products
- Evaluate project proposals, requests or engineering statistics to determine cost, feasibility, production time or productibility of aerospace products
- Apply risk management thinking in your decision making and planning regarding the proper level of FAA involvement; understand the FAA and the responsibilities and roles of the aerospace industry
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree
- Strong background in mathematics and engineering
- Training in linear control systems and orbital mechanics
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering
- Experience with Java and MySQL programming
- Minimum of five years’ experience
Creating an engaging aerospace engineer job description is just the first step in finding the perfect employee. Posting the job where potential applicants will see it is the next important step, and there are a variety of places to do this. Placing it on your own website will help attract some applicants, and you can ask your employees to send out emails and announcements to their contacts. Using social media networks is also a great way to get the word out.
Looking at online job boards is a popular way that jobseekers look for open positions. However, it can be very energy-draining and time-consuming for you to post on each individual one. Save yourself the time and use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on a wide variety of job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter