Agricultural equipment operators help to maintain the quality and production of farms, crops and livestock by driving and controlling machinery. They are responsible for tilling soil, cultivating crops, baling harvests and bucking hay. They also utilize stationary equipment for tasks including the shelling, husking, ginning and threshing of harvested plants.
If you want to attract all-star candidates, be sure to leverage the skills section of your agricultural equipment operator job description. Include the fact that a competitive applicant will have a good mix of technical experience and working knowledge of food production and crop harvesting processes. He or she will also be responsible for monitoring, repairing and troubleshooting equipment.
Additionally, the ideal operator is able to communicate clearly with managers in order to make decisions regarding machinery and streamline production. Use our agricultural equipment operator job description template to get an idea of what to include in your posting.
Agricultural Equipment Operator Job Summary
Are you the type of motivated person who cannot be confined to a career in a cubicle? If you love to work with your hands and operate machinery that supports the critical processes of crop production and harvest, you may be an ideal fit for our agricultural equipment operator job opening. A high-school education is preferred but not mandatory. As an important member of our team, you will receive valuable on-the-job training and ample opportunities to become an agricultural expert with seasonal projects and tasks. We offer a mix of fast-paced and relaxed environments where you are surrounded by a crew of friendly and hard-working professionals.
- Safely operate and control different kinds of farm equipment using current GPS technology, including trucks, tractors, loaders and skid steers
- Drive dozer to move harvests and separate feed material into specific storage units based on the quality and grade of product
- Troubleshoot, service and repair agricultural machinery and report problems and needs to management, noting physical and mechanical issues on a checklist; record meter reading at the beginning of each shift
- Irrigate and till soil and plant, cultivate and bale crops such as hay, wheat, corn and barley
- Assist with post-harvest tasks including ginning, shelling, husking and threshing of grains
- Use forklifts, transfer augers, pitchforks, shovels, suction gates and other equipment to load hoppers and conveyors to feed machines
- Control insect populations, weed growth and crop diseases by spraying pesticides and fertilizers
- Confer with management and prioritize work requests to ensure machinery is organized and operational when it is needed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Driver’s license: must be 16 or older to drive trucks and tractors
- Fluency in English
- Ability to handle heavy objects and machinery
- Strong desire to learn and engage in agricultural production processes
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One year of previous experience operating farm equipment
Crafting a great agricultural equipment operator job description is just the first step in attracting top-quality applicants. If you want to hire the best candidate, you will need to submit your posting on the appropriate channels and get it in front of the right audience.
Although it can be a tedious process, one of the best places to post your job description remains online job boards. You will also want to make the opening visible on your company website and social media platforms. Additionally, be sure to notify professional networks for direct referrals. If you want to save time and overhead, consider placing free job postings on hundreds of boards simultaneously using MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter