Aircraft mechanics perform inspections, make repairs and perform scheduled maintenance of aircraft. They have the ability to diagnose both electrical and mechanical problems and identify repair procedures. They are able to examine parts for defects and replace them with new ones.
Focusing on the qualities that are important for aircraft mechanics is one part that should be included in your aircraft mechanic job description. Applicants should be very detail-oriented and have good troubleshooting skills. It is also important that they have good coordination of the hands and fingers in order to assemble and manipulate aircraft parts.
Other skills that aircraft mechanics possess include agility, strength and observational proficiency. In addition to listing important qualities, a job description should include a number of other key elements. Consult the aircraft mechanic job description below to get a good idea of what to include in yours.
Aircraft Mechanic Job Summary
Is aviation in your blood? Do you love working with your hands and finding creative solutions to mechanical problems? As an aircraft mechanic for our company, you will have the opportunity to use your skills on a variety of aircraft, including C-130s, P3 aircraft, 737s, 757s, A320s and Cirrus aircrafts. Keep our company in tip-top shape as you make repairs and do inspections alongside a skilled team to meet FAA’s standards of quality within specified deadlines. Utilize your experience and enhance your training to troubleshoot issues on all associated systems on our aircraft. We reward our employees with competitive pay, excellent benefits and professional training.
- Inspect and examine aircraft components, including de-icing systems, hydraulic systems and landing gear, for leaks, cracks, breaks or other issues
- Read and utilize blueprints, maintenance manuals, ATA codes, illustrated parts catalogs, service bulletins and other maintenance documents to troubleshoot and complete work assignments
- Perform routine maintenance operations, such as the replacement of power plant and aircraft components
- Perform hourly, daily and monthly inspections to check for cracks, oil leaks, burned areas, foreign object damage, warping, distortions, missing segments and wear
- Complete all tasks in the allotted time frame and to the quality standards of our company, our customers and the FAA
- Promote safety within the workplace by monitoring others and yourself to guarantee all tasks are performed within the safety manual guidelines, and communicate with other mechanics and supervisors to coordinate repairs and keep apprised of safety concerns
- Order supplies, equipment, materials and parts for repairs and general maintenance
- Keep detailed records of the inspections performed, repairs finished, maintenance procedures and ordered parts
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma with aviation-specific training
- Minimum of three years of experience on commercial and general aviation aircraft
- Fluent in English
- A & P Certification
- Experience with technical manual database software
- Experience with engine analysis software
Aircraft Mechanic Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities portion of the job description is your opportunity to introduce the duties of the aircraft mechanic to potential applicants. While it may be tempting to list all work needed in the position, you should eliminate unnecessary filler items and focus on what the position will require at your company. Because the tasks of an aircraft mechanic often involve specific material work requirements, the responsibilities section of the aircraft mechanic job description is the ideal place to detail which experiences are necessary for the position. Feel free to exclude normal workplace functions such as sending emails and attending meetings, though you may want to draw attention to skills relevant to those tasks in other portions of the job description.
List the aircraft mechanic job responsibilities as actions to allow the applicant to quickly and easily understand your expectations. Begin with an action verb, and concisely describe the requirement. Remember that the responsibilities section of the aircraft mechanic job description should prepare the applicant for work at your company, so if there are deviations from the norm that are specific to this work environment, this is the best place to include that information.
You might draft the job responsibilities like the following
- Diagnose and repair aircraft engines
- Inspect mechanical components to find damage, defects or wear
- Assemble electrical systems and subsystems
- Fabricate parts as needed
- Supervise maintenance schedules of equipment
Aircraft Mechanic Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of the aircraft mechanic job description is unique from the job responsibilities section because it provides space for you to identify what qualities, skills and characteristics you expect from your applicants. If the aircraft mechanic must be able to fabricate parts as necessary, you may want to include a skill that specifically relates to practically applying engineering concepts. If he or she needs to supervise maintenance schedules of equipment, you may want to single out communication skills.
The key to crafting good aircraft mechanic job specifications is determining with your team ahead of time which skills and qualifications are most important. Can this work only be completed if someone has a certain college degree? It may be easy to simply list many skills and qualifications to convey all possible combinations of talent and experience, but this can deter many qualified candidates. Include only those requirements that are necessary to complete the work. This allows the candidate to stand out on his or her own in the interview.
The specifications of the aircraft mechanic job description can include:
● Knowledge of the practical applications of engineering and technology● Comfortable using mathematics to solve practical problems● Effective communication skills with team members● Prepared to work in cramped positions while maintaining focus despite distracting noise levels● Bachelor of Science in Engineering and 3 to 4 years’ experience