An airline pilot operates aircraft to transport people and freight cargo to different destinations. Most airline pilots fly certain routes on a fixed schedule and are responsible for navigating properly, verifying airplane maintenance and following strict safety guidelines for each flight.
Pilots must be able to deal with changing conditions in a safe and appropriate way, including modifying the flight path using navigational tools and following emergency protocols if necessary. Your airline pilot job description should focus on completion of required training and licensing as required by law.
Other important skills include attention to detail and strong decision making, including effective problem solving during dangerous situations. Pilots must also work well with the flight crew and occasionally interact with passengers, so interpersonal skills are also essential. Look through the airline pilot job description below to see what other information you should include in your own job listing.
Airline Pilot Job Summary
Do you want a hands-on career with new challenges every day and the chance to continually improve your professional qualifications? We are currently looking to fill an opening for an airline pilot with an ideal candidate who has exceptional training, strong decision-making skills and a dedication to safety. You can maintain your current certifications and flight time requirements through full-time aircraft operation along fixed routes as well as have the chance to move your career forward through additional training and possible advancement to Pilot-in-Charge and similar positions. We value our pilots for their technical abilities as well as their commitment to safe and efficient operation during every flight, so we offer excellent compensation and benefits.
- Follow precise, documented steps to check and verify condition of aircraft prior to and following every flight, and document complete findings in log according to standard operating procedures
- Complete pre-flight checks before takeoff by verifying compliance with weight limits, submitting detailed flight plans to air traffic control authorities and studying weather patterns to ensure acceptable conditions for safe flight
- Operate aircraft safely according to set flight schedules by following planned routes, communicating effectively with air-traffic control, operating navigational instruments properly and monitoring fuel levels and other systems during takeoff, flight and landing procedures
- Respond to changes in weather conditions and emergency situations calmly and safely, following standard protocols when possible and determining additional actions when necessary to address unusual situations
- Communicate effectively with other pilots, flight crew, air traffic controllers and passengers as necessary to ensure proper aircraft operation
- Complete post-flight documentation accurately by listing all relevant operational and instrumentation details and recommending maintenance procedures or changes in flight schedule when necessary
- Coordinate with copilot, flight engineer and ground personnel as necessary to ensure compliance with safety protocols and adherence to FAA regulations for all flights
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Commercial Pilot license, Instrument Rating and ATP certificate
- Expert-level knowledge of FAA regulations and safety procedures
- Minimum of 2,000 hours of flight time
- Exceptional observational skills plus strong problem-solving abilities
- Certified Flight Instructor rating
- Over 4,000 hours of flight time
Creating a comprehensive and persuasive airline pilot job description should be the first step in your hiring campaign. However, you must also figure out where to post your job listing so it has the best chance of attracting motivated and qualified jobseekers. There are numerous options for advertising a job opening, including both free and paid online job boards.
Along with online job sites, you can consider posting to professional social networks and your company’s official website. Some recruiters institute a referral program to encourage current employees to recommend candidates. Most hiring managers agree that posting a job listing in multiple places reduces the time it takes to find the right candidate. Working through the details to post your job description in so many places can be tedious, so consider using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of online job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter