Android developers develop applications for smartphones and tablets using the Android operating system. The applications either handle specific tasks on the devices or work with the operating systems. They gain an understanding of what users need and then lead entire development processes for software programs.
When mentioning qualifications in an Android developer job description, state that the applicant should have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, mathematics or a related field. Experience in building software and computer programming is also helpful.
Besides computer skills, Android developers should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They should also have strong communication and interpersonal skills so that they work well with others and can deliver clear instructions to others while working on projects. Creativity and attention to detail are also important qualities. Review the Android developer job description below for a better idea of what to include in your job posting.
Android Developer Job Summary
Do you enjoy creating and developing applications for mobile devices? Are you someone with strong computer programming skills who is seeking a creative challenge? We have an opening for an Android developer to join our product development team, where you will have the opportunity to work with the best developers in the business. Use your design and code expertise to make your mark by improving or even inventing our cutting-edge products. Be part of our pioneering company that is proud of its groundbreaking work. Develop your career and your skills further while receiving a generous and competitive pay and benefits package.
- Perform upgrades and maintenance while modifying existing software to improve performance, correct errors and allow adaptation to new hardware
- Recommend software upgrades for clients’ programs and systems if necessary, and analyze software requirements and user needs to determine whether the system design is feasible and can be completed within time and budget constraints
- Collaborate with engineers, programmers, systems analysts and others on projects, and gather information on project capabilities and limitations, interface and performance requirements to create optimum software
- Design, develop and modify software systems, using mathematical models and scientific analysis to predict and measure possible outcomes
- Store, retrieve and manipulate data to understand system capabilities and requirements
- Direct software system testing, validation procedures, application and system documentation and programming to ensure normal program functioning
- Manage the work of technologists, programmers, technicians and other related team members, and provide instruction on writing software code as needed
- Coordinate software installation and monitor equipment to confirm specifications have been met
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, mathematics or related field
- Previous programming experience
- Familiar with development, program testing and database management system software
- Proficient with application and computer servers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Master’s degree
Android Developer Job Responsibilities
Writing a great Android developer job description means understanding how the job responsibilities section of your document works to bring in candidates. Like the work experience section of a resume, it outlines the actual tasks that make up the job. When it’s set up with detailed responsibilities that are clear and easy for an applicant to understand, you have a better chance of getting the candidates who are truly a great fit.
Setting up your Android developer job responsibilities section means using an active verb at the beginning of each bullet point to tell the jobseeker exactly what the task entails. It also means using clear and concise language so the applicant can discern the deliverables that result from each responsibility. Last but not least, the list of responsibilities needs to be complete, so you will want to make sure you consult with stakeholders about the role you are seeking to fill as you write your Android developer job description. Here are a few sample responsibilities you might use:
- Confer with systems engineers, other developers and programming staff to determine the feasibility of various approaches to project development
- Analyze data on user needs and hardware constraints to determine the feasibility of various designs
- Collaborate with the rest of the development team to determine design specifications or details
- Modify software programs to improve performance throughout the product’s lifecycle
Android Developer Job Specifications
Alongside a great list of job responsibilities, a strong job description also needs to have job qualifications and skills that are complete and clear to applicants. That’s because the skills and qualifications section spells out the minimum required credentials and skills that a candidate will need to draw on to complete the responsibilities listed in the Android developer job description.
To make sure you have a complete list of Android developer job specifications when you put together your job description, you will want to consult with the people working closest to that position. It’s also a good idea to research the skills you should require to make sure they are complete. Don’t forget to include any educational prerequisites for the position in this section as well. The goal is to provide a checklist for candidates who want to understand if they have what it takes to do the job.
As you write the specs, you will want to use active language and very specific terms. This allows the applicant to read and understand the requirements more quickly, making it more likely you will get candidates who are a great fit for the position. Here are a few example skills you might include in an Android developer job description:
- Inductive reasoning skills
- Strong problem sensitivity
- Programming experience, including proficiency in C# and Python
- Operations analysis skills
- Strong written communication skills