Anesthesiologists are responsible for handling surgical patients and their pain relief during procedures. During surgery, anesthesiologists administer anesthetics (drugs) and adjust them as needed, and they also monitor patients’ vital signs. In addition, they provide relief for women during labor, for patients in intensive care and for chronic pain patients.
There are many qualities that are important for anesthesiologists to have, and these should be included in your anesthesiologist job description. Compassion is critical, and these professionals should have good communication skills to be able to interact with healthcare support staff and patients. Anesthesiologists should be detail oriented, good problem-solvers and be skilled in working with their hands.
Because they can spend lots of time in surgery, anesthesiologists should have good physical stamina and patience. Check out the following anesthesiologist job description to see how to include these qualities in your own job posting.
Anesthesiologist Job Summary
Are you an anesthesiologist who wants to grow professionally? Would you like to work in a busy and innovative practice? Our facility is expanding and we are looking for a confident and experienced anesthesiologist to join our friendly team. Along with using your skills and knowledge in a variety of settings, you will be a part of a collaborative team, helping to make decisions about how to grow and help more people. Our environment is designed to encourage major professional advancement. As a team member, you will receive a healthy salary that is guaranteed for two years, a great benefit package and the potential to become a partner.
- Use intravenous, local, caudal or spinal methods to administer sedation or pain medications during surgical and other medical procedures
- Supervise patients and monitor their pain medications before, during and after surgery; offset adverse complications or reactions; record amount and type of anesthesia as well as the patients’ conditions throughout procedures
- Determine risk during medical procedures by taking medical histories, examining patients and ordering diagnostic procedures like x-rays and laboratory tests; discuss with other healthcare professionals about the method and type of anesthetic to make patients numb to pain
- Provide and sustain airway management and life support during emergency surgery
- Monitor patients post-surgery and determine when they are stabilized enough to move to another room or go home
- Manage anesthesiological services and coordinate with other professionals to formulate procedures and plans; direct the duties of medical technicians, nurses and other healthcare support staff
- Educate patients and families on post-procedure care and possible complications; instruct on different ways to prevent disease and improve health
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Doctor of Medicine degree with anesthesiology residency
- Minimum of three years of experience as anesthesiologist
- Board certified in anesthesiology
- Skilled at epidurals, spinals and ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Experience in supervisory position
- Excellent communication skills
A thorough and descriptive anesthesiologist job description will help attract the right candidate for your open position. However, additional steps need to be made to ensure that the job description will be seen by jobseekers. Social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, present free ways to highlight the job. You should also take advantage of your own company by placing the ad on your website and asking employees to spread the word.
Try to place the position in areas that have high traffic. There are hundreds of online job boards which are popular places to post available positions. Posting on each one individually can be very time-consuming, however, especially for busy professionals. Take advantage of services such as MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to multiple boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter