Application developers deal with the growth of software intended to make organizational processes more efficient or to market and sell to public consumers. Top responsibilities include researching end-user needs and requirements, developing and testing software, creating models to assist with code creation, documenting all updates and modifications in the software for future reference and performing routine maintenance and system upgrades to maximize program performance and end-user experience.
The content of the skills section in your application developer job description is critical to helping applicants understand the competencies you require and expect. Some key strengths to suggest include communication, creativity and computer and analytical skills. Candidates should also demonstrate their ability to effectively solve problems.
Interpersonal skills are also valuable to make communication with end-users and colleagues efficient, positive and effective. For a better idea of how to organize this material, refer to our application developer job description template.
Application Developer Job Summary
Do you excel at using your understanding of computer analytics for creating software and optimizing end-user experience? As an application developer at our corporate headquarters, you have unlimited opportunities to utilize your skillset to build, grow and enhance software designed to revolutionize organizational processes. Whether you are creating coding models, running tests, collaborating with end-users for feedback, providing assistance with upgrades and updates, performing general maintenance or designing emergency protocols, each day will bring exciting challenges and the chance to develop key skills. If you are a problem solver who is outgoing and able to communicate on an interpersonal level, this could be just the job you are looking for.
- Research organizational needs, end-user requirements and requests and existing software structure to identify and create new applications that will increase efficiency and optimize function
- Perform tests to determine usability and catch errors or glitches before releasing the application to other internal users
- Systemize and coordinate upgrades and updates to minimize downtime and ensure that all end-users are operating on parallel systems; oversee all general maintenance on software applications
- Design and build models to instruct programmers on how to write and modify the code needed to implement new applications
- Collaborate with end-users to assess system performance, acquire feedback and identify areas where improvements are necessary; incorporate user feedback into forthcoming initiatives to guarantee an optimal user experience
- Document and safely store all information associated with application specifications, modifications or upgrades for future reference
- Participate in creating emergency protocols and plan ahead for potentially challenging situations like blackouts
- Assess industry innovations and the latest software discoveries to incorporate into application creation to maintain organizational software that is competitive and sophisticated
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Strong understanding of computers and analytics
- At least three years of experience in coding and application development
- Familiarity with performing maintenance and updates on software
Application Developer Job Responsibilities
You’ve probably seen those Craigslist job ads that the system flags within 10 minutes of posting for looking just a little too shady. The last thing you want is to come across as one of those companies trawling for Craigslist bottom-dwellers, so what you need is a well-written application developer job description that effectively represents your company as an attractive employer for quality candidates. To do that, you need an action-driven job description using concise bullets and dynamic language to describe, at a high level, what a jobseeker’s daily general duties will be. This will be the bulk of your description.
Specificity is also key. Application developers cover a wide range of platforms, code bases and skills; are you designing for web, mobile or desktop? What primary code base are you working in? What exactly are you designing? Make it clear in your application developer job description the sort of projects your new hires will be working o, and whether it’s an internal solution, a proprietary product or custom solutions for external clients.
Here’s an example of how to write dynamic application developer job responsibilities:
- Collaborate with team members during software development lifecycle for Android mobile games and interactive life applications
- Liaise with clients to gather and refine requirements
- Produce clean, flexible, reusable code for application modules
- Plan and execute test cases; follow through on debugging
- Maintain source code, updating as needed with new releases
Application Developer Job Specifications
To further narrow your candidate pool and attract only those with the skills for the job, you need to clarify your job requirements with a list of job qualifications and skills. You should write these just as clearly and concisely as the application developer job description, but ideally, the list should be shorter — no more than 5-6 bullet points detailing absolute essentials for the role. The first thing you’ll likely want to focus on is technology skills. Every technical team has their primary code base, and you’ll have a number of core skills with programming languages, platforms and software essentials. Make sure to include those skills and how many years of experience you expect to winnow out applicants without the desired skills.
Outside of your must-haves, look at skills that would be nice perks; this is less to weed people out and more to attract that ideal cross-functional candidate who comes with all the extras to make her or him not just adequate but perfect. Whether it’s experience in particular industries or knowledge of a specific type of project, these extras can go a long way in fleshing out your application developer job description to attract the ideal candidate.
Take a look at our sample application developer job specifications:
- 5+ years in Java and C++ programming; some PHP experience preferable
- Experience deploying mobile applications in a native Android SDK environment
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferable
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment
- Background consulting on short-term engagements with overseas clients