Architectural drafters prepare detailed drawings of architectural plans and designs for structures and buildings according to specifications from architects. They use software to transform complex plans into organized technical depictions and representations.
In the skills section of your architectural drafter job description, you need to emphasize that the perfect candidate is detail-oriented and tech-savvy, able to work alone creating drawings on a computer. Sometimes architectural drafters visit construction sites, so a strong contender is comfortable leaving the office to go out into the field.
Architectural drafters should be professional and courteous. They must be able to focus for prolonged periods of time. They need to be able to work with a variety of personality types to get the job done. Use the example below to better understand what to include in your own architectural drafter job description.
Architectural Drafter Job Summary
Do you love puzzles? Do you like to take lots of related information and assemble it in an organized way that others can understand? Are you detail-oriented and good with computers and software programs? If you answered “yes” to these questions, then we need you on our team as an architectural drafter. We need you to bring your knowledge of design principles, mathematics and practical applications of technology and engineering science to our projects. We need clear, accurate depictions of architects’ conceptual plans so that those visions can be built into reality. If you want the chance to grow with us in the exciting field of architecture, then this job is right for you.
- Use computer-aided drafting (CAD) software programs and equipment or a conventional drafting station to create and modify architectural documents, designs, working drawings, forms, charts and records
- Analyze current building codes, by-laws and requirements to establish how they affect architectural drawings, and stay up-to-date on all required and relevant codes
- Bring together structural, mechanical and electrical designs and create a way or a method of accurately arranging them to produce building designs that are understandable and feasible
- Draw detailed and rough scale plans for structures, foundations and buildings based upon preliminary concepts, sketches, specification sheets, engineering calculations and other provided data
- Design interior room arrangements for commercial buildings using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software
- Acquire and assemble information needed to finish architectural drawings, visiting job sites when necessary to gather measurements
- Oversee, organize and inspect the work of draftspersons, technologists, technicians and other relevant team members working on construction projects
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree
- 1.5 + years’ experience with computer-assisted drawing (CAD) software
- 1.5 + years’ experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Project
- Minimum 1 year experience with Photoshop and InDesign
- Outstanding communication skills
- Train and teach others
- Make accurate assessments of things, people and services
- Develop and build teams
Writing an excellent architectural drafter job description that attracts and interests superior candidates is the first step to hiring the right person. Next, you need to make sure that the right people see your posting, and to do that, you need to think creatively.
While job boards are a good way to get the word out, jobseekers today also use many other sources for information. Good places to post include your company’s website and social networks. You can even ask current employees to send out referral emails, and don’t forget the tried-and-true standard still used by many, such as “help wanted” advertisements in newspapers. You can get started by posting your job for free on hundreds of job boards simultaneously with MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter