An assistant controller often has a wide range of responsibilities. This individual is usually charged with overseeing daily account activities, internal auditing, budgeting and reviewing reports. Typically, this person aids a chief financial executive, treasurer or head controller in managing both the short and long-term fiduciary activities of an organization.
When creating your assistant controller job description, include the most critical qualities your ideal candidate must possess. Specify important educational and licensing requirements, such as a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field or status as a Certified Public Accountant. Most organizations seek professionals with at least five years of prior work experience in business or financial occupations.
Your assistant controller job description should also list crucial skills such as critical thinking, analysis, communication, mathematics and leadership as well as a detail-oriented mindset. Use our example below as guidance for formatting and content in your own job posting.
Assistant Controller Job Summary
Put your hard-earned skills, analytical thinking and leadership qualities to work as an assistant controller for a home health care organization serving over 1,000 clients in a large suburban community. We’re looking for a detail-oriented, experienced professional to work closely with our Controller in overseeing both immediate and long-term fiduciary operations. With your financial expertise and wisdom, you will help our company continue to serve our current client base as well as offer compassionate care options to more individuals as we seek to expand operations into the larger metropolitan area. We offer opportunities for advancement along with a competitive pay and benefits package as well as a collaborative, supportive work environment in which people are put first while progressive values and a commitment to diversity are espoused.
- Assist the Controller by overseeing accounting, billing, collections, payroll and financial reporting functions
- Generate financial statements, financial position forecasts, budgets, business activity reports and other documents that conform to federal and state laws as well as mandates by other regulatory agencies
- Guide and assist other departments by clearly communicating current accounting and budgeting policies and procedures as well as composing and disseminating new procedures and policies as necessitated by best practices and changes in federal and state regulations
- Encourage efficient use and maintenance of departmental and total organizational financial resources
- Review past and present data as well as the organization’s projected future financial health to help management craft sound strategies for fiduciary growth
- Schedule and direct regular audits of organizational accounts, financial transactions and other fiduciary activities to guarantee their compliance federal and state laws and regulations
- Work with the Controller to create immediate and future strategies for the organization’s fiduciary planning, procurement, investment and budgeting activities
- Oversee the training and development of finance staff, and delegate duties and authority to meet departmental and organizational goals
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or similar field
- At least five years of work experience in finance, accounting or business operations
- Advanced computer skills, including Office suite applications and financial reporting tools
- Certified Public Accountant status
- Prior experience in a health care organization
- Experience with enterprise resource planning tools, particularly in a health care setting
Attracting the type of talent you need is partially dependent on how well you craft your assistant controller job description. However, it also relies on several other factors within your control. Your compelling job description also needs to see the light of day, so don’t forget to post it on your organization’s website. Additionally, enlisting the help of your current staff to spread the word may gain applicants from within their social and professional circles. Finally, using your social media presence is vital to ensure that interested candidates see your job posting.
Nevertheless, expanding your reach to online job boards is also a necessary step to make sure you cast a wide net to find skilled professionals. MightyRecruiter can help, allowing you the ability to post jobs for free on hundreds of different sites.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter