Hiring the most qualified applicants depends on your ability to clearly communicate the needs of your business to applicants. The average job hunter spends less than a minute reviewing the text of a hiring notice before deciding whether or not to apply. Below is an automobile salesperson job description sample that you may use to help develop your own company’s voice in the job market.
Automobile Salesperson Job Summary
Join the highest volume sales team in the Pacific Northwest at The Baldwin Nissan Automotive Group.
Your job as a sales associate will be to meet with prospective buyers and assist them in making their purchasing decisions. You will accomplish this by identifying their needs and their wants and then match them with the solution that best fits their circumstances.
Automobile Salesperson Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Be the first point of contact between customers and the dealership
- Demonstrate features and options on all vehicles in inventory
- Answer basic questions about financing and other optional financial products
- Promote the company’s service and finance department with buyers to ensure customer loyalty
- Perform vehicle delivery for buyers after a purchase has been completed
- Routinely follow up with buyers to ensure continued satisfaction
- Contribute to dealership sales data by filling out standard reports
- Cold call prospective buyers to generate new business when necessary
Automobile Salesperson Skills and Qualifications
- Professional appearance and attitude
- Excellent persuasive verbal communication skills
- Time management skills and willingness to take the initiative
- Knowledge of automotive industry and technical aspects of vehicles and ownership
- Good knowledge of financing and basic mathematics skills
- 3-5 years of previous sales or customer service experience preferred
- Prior automotive sales experience and specific training with Nissan products a positive
- Must have clean driving and criminal records for employment
About the Baldwin Automotive Group
The Baldwin Automotive Group has established the largest dealer network in the Pacific Northwest, and has the highest volume of Nissan sales in the region. You will be joining a sales team that has already dominates the market. With access to training and mentoring from seasoned experts, we ensure that every effort is made to help you succeed in meeting your sales goals.
Enjoy the support from our vehicle service and financing departments that lets you focus on your actual job. Our dealership is expanding in the region and we expect many new opportunities to open up. Advance along our established career track with promotions as new positions come available.
All of our sales associate benefit from the same competitive wage scale. We believe that hard work pays off, and we allow you to earn as much as your ability and determination will allow. We want you to reach your full potential and encourage you to perform at your best by offering many opportunities to earn bonuses based on exceptional performance.
Get Started Right Away
We are looking for the best qualified applicants to join our team. To find out if you have what it takes to make the most out of this opportunity, contact our hiring manager for an interview today.
Best Practices Dos and Don’ts
Things to avoid in your posting
• Don’t use vague or confusing language. Be specific in the job requirements and expectations. Make sure that applicants can imagine themselves in the job roll.
• Don’t avoid describing things that may disqualify an applicant. If it is against your dealer’s policy to hire those with convictions for theft, state this in the requirements section.
• Don’t post proprietary information that violates your company’s disclosure policies.
• Don’t disguise your sales staff as managers. Although some dealers like to give their sales associates the title of assistant manager to control objections from customers, this practice confuses job applicants and leads to wasted time.
Things to include
• Do use an active voice when describing the job
• Do break up your advertisement with bullet points or an outline. The easier you make your advertisement on the eyes of your applicants, the better your results will be.
• Do display your dealership’s personality. Your company has a culture, and your job description is the place to show it. Target applicants aligned with your company’s values to improve results
• Do include your contact information, and make it easy for applicants to get their information to you.
Get More Information About Job Descriptions
The automobile salesperson job description sample above illustrates how to communicate your company’s needs with prospective employees, but you may still have some questions. Fortunately, there are plenty of resources on the MightyRecruiter web site for hiring managers. Take a look at additional articles and blog posts for more guidance and advice.
Automobile Salesperson Job Responsibilities
When you’re hiring for a position that is commonly portrayed in a negative way, you need to take special precautions. When writing your automobile salesperson job description, use distinctly positive language and create a job responsibilities section that is genuine and honest. This will help attract better, more professional applicants.
This should be the most substantial part of the description, and to make this section even stronger, use bullet points to outline your information. This assists readers in seeing the distinction between each task and helps you to keep your points concise. Start your bullets with action verbs to emphasize the importance of the duties involved and give your readers a more accurate idea of what the position would entail. Confine your list to 6-8 bullets for maximum effectiveness, so that it informs possible candidates without overwhelming them. Following these tips can help your automobile salesperson job description to appeal to your target candidates.
Here are some automobile salesperson job responsibilities to use as examples:
- Analyze customers’ wants and needs to effectively recommend corresponding products and services
- Explain the features and benefits of each automobile on the lot
- Inform customers about special promotions and current sales
- Negotiate fair and profitable transactions with customers
- Maintain current knowledge of competitors’ offers and sales tactics
Automobile Salesperson Job Specifications
Tailoring the job qualifications and skills section of your automobile salesperson job description to your ideal candidate without losing potentially qualified applicants takes time and carefully chosen words. You need to write a list of minimum requirements needed for the position and an additional list of skills you would prefer your candidates to have. Doing that allows readers to draw their own conclusions about whether they would be a good fit for your company.
While automobile salespeople may not need a specific level of education or technical skills, they do need to possess several key personality traits to be beneficial employees. You can use your automobile salesperson job description to assist you in locating these types of applicants by including the characteristics indicative of the best salespeople. You may want to confer with other members of the management staff when deciding which skills to list.
This section is shortest in the job description, so don’t waste words by being overly descriptive. Keep your lists clear and concise so your readers aren’t left wondering whether they’re qualified. The more simply you define the candidate you’re looking for, the fewer unqualified applicants you’ll get.
Take a look at these example automobile salesperson job specifications as you write your own:
- Friendly and outgoing personality
- Excellent communication and social skills
- Extensive knowledge of vehicles
- Confident and persuasive
- Persistent and driven