As a recruiter or hiring manager, you know that your job is only possible if you can attract a decent pool of applicants for open positions in the company. Without qualified candidates, you might be left scrambling, and settling for candidates who fall short of requirements can contribute to low retention and other problems. What draws excellent job applicants in and weeds out those who are unqualified? It is important to begin the recruiting process with a good impression on applicants, and crafting a great job description is the place to start. Improving or writing a new posting can be difficult, though. If you need some inspiration for putting together a winning job description, you can reference the Automotive Service Writer / Advisor job description sample below for some help before you get to writing.
Automotive Service Writer / Advisor Job Description Sample
The following Automotive Service Writer / Advisor job description sample is an example of some of the contents you should incorporate into your own job posting.
Automotive Service Writer / Advisor Job Summary
An Automotive Service Writer / Advisor is a mid-level position that entails identifying problems with automobiles, gathering information about warranties and provisions for service coverage and drafting orders for repairs to be done. Customer service also plays an important part in this role, since you will be communicating with clients to understand the issue with their automobile.
Automotive Service Writer / Advisor Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Listen to customers’ account of issues and symptoms to better understand what the problem is
- Perform inspections to narrow down what the cause of the problem may be
- Verify warranty, insurance or contract coverage for service
- Calculate and provide customer with an estimate of these expenses for resolving the problem
- Explain process to clients so they understand what to expect and when their automotive will be repaired
- Record information gathered from each visit in appropriate database
- Draft order for repair with all information that has been gathered outlined clearly
- Work with supervisors, repairmen and the rest of team to provide a positive and expedient resolution for clients.
Automotive Service Writer / Advisor Skills and Qualifications
- Great customer service skills
- Ability to lift up to 25-30 pounds
- Excellent skills in mathematics and writing
- Commitment to quality
- Excellent time management skills
Automotive Solutions Company has been in business for over 30 years serving clients in the Pacific Northwest. Our goal is to accurately identify, summarize and resolve all of the problems drivers may have with their automobiles. In order to accomplish this, we research each of our client’s insurance coverage, service contract or warranty to ensure we have accurate information regarding coverage, and we then provide clients with top quality service that will resolve any problems that may have been present. Our employees are a vital part of our operations, and as such, we strive to provide our team with a positive, safe and rewarding work environment.
Want to use this job description?
Automotive Service Advisor Job Responsibilities
When writing a description, you will need to be sure that readers and potential candidates fully understand what you will expect of them upon hire. The job responsibilities section of your automotive service advisor job description will be the most detailed section of the description, and you will need to list the tasks and duties the candidate will perform each day. It is not necessary to list every single mundane task, but you should provide a bulleted list of at least 6-8 of the most important and frequently performed tasks.
During the writing process, you must focus on grabbing the attention of the reader. Use varied language and action verbs to make the content more lively and interesting. It is acceptable to write both full sentences and statements as long as they get the point across. Lastly, you will want to be sure to include specialized aspects of the job in your automotive service advisor job description.
Try incorporating some of the following automotive service advisor job responsibilities into your description:
- Provide in-depth information to customers and recommend automotive products and services when necessary
- Schedule appointments for repairs and services using company computer system
- Contact customers to remind them of scheduled maintenance appointments
- Keep front office neat and organized for customers
- Address all customer concerns and issues in a timely and professional manner
Automotive Service Advisor Job Specifications
If you want to attract the right type of candidates, you will need to craft a skills and qualifications section. This section of the resume is fairly short, but its short length does not take away from its importance. Your automotive service advisor job description should outline the skills and abilities candidates will need to perform the job in question correctly, such as previous experience and strong communication skills.
Writing a brief yet detailed skills section can help prevent under- and over-qualified applicants from applying for the job. This can save you an exceptional amount of time and energy in the long run and attract confident candidates who really want the job. After all, no one wants to spend all afternoon interviewing candidates who cannot perform their duties.
Before you start the process of writing, you will need to become familiar with the proper format. Use bullets when writing this section, and don’t be afraid to be direct. If you are responsible for writing an automotive service advisor job description, it would be wise to include the following automotive service advisor job specifications:
- Prior experience as an automotive service advisor desired
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with a wide range of customers
- Must be comfortable offering advice regarding automotive services and repairs
- Able to work well with others