Automotive service attendants are tasked with performing rudimentary maintenance on guests’ vehicles. Typically, this will include fueling, changing oil or other fluids, lubricating parts, replacing lights, cleaning windows or other surfaces or replacing small accessories. It is rare for these professionals to be responsible for diagnosing issues or performing engine repairs.
Because this is a service position at its core, the most important quality to include in your automotive service attendant job description is communication and customer service experience. Candidates need to be familiar professionally interacting with guests, listening for information and instructions and relaying information.
While a fundamental level of mechanical knowledge is required, candidates do not need to understand in-depth mechanics. They should have physical strength and critical thinking as well. The following automotive service attendant job description template will demonstrate some of the best ways to include these requirements.
Automotive Service Attendant Job Summary
Seeking a tactful, professional and capable automotive expert to interact with guests and provide service. Must have excellent communication skills and be dedicated to resolving issues quickly to maintain customer satisfaction. You will be familiar enough with cars to be able to quickly and correctly change the oil, brake and steering fluid and coolant on many different models, as well as refuel the vehicle. Mechanical knowledge is a plus, but not required. You will perform simple cleaning practices once essential maintenance tasks are complete. You should also exhibit strong decision making, mathematics, analysis and evaluation skills, as well as have excellent physical strength and endurance.
- Relay information to customers, listen actively to their requests and special instructions and pass information on to other attendants quickly and precisely
- Dispense oil, steering and brake fluid, coolant and gasoline without spilling or making mistakes
- Check tire pressure and other automobile numbers, recording the information accurately and making recommendations accordingly
- Collect payment from customers, provide accurate change and print out a receipt for the customer quickly
- Explain available accessories to customers, making recommendations and implementing selling techniques to make accessory sales frequently
- Install new accessories immediately upon sale, ensuring they are installed correctly and securely, potentially demonstrating installation and removal instructions to the customer
- Grease or lubricate parts as necessary, performing tests before the customer departs to make sure all maintenance is completed correctly and the vehicle is safe to operate.
- Fulfill cleaning responsibilities, including both the customers’ automotives once maintenance is complete and in the work area surrounding customer’s vehicles
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent GED completion
- Current driver’s license and strong driving history with nearly no accidents
- Two years’ working experience in car shop or as a mechanic
Once you have finished writing your automotive service attendant job description and have taken the time to polish it, you are ready to begin the next step in the hiring process. Your job description will not do you any good unless a large audience of job seekers is exposed to it. You can post it on your company website or through social media, but the best outlet to maximize the number of people that will see it is online job boards. These sites are specifically made for people searching for employment.
MightyRecruiter offers posting tools that allows you to put your job description on hundreds of online job boards at one time. Not only do we make it possible for you to improve your search for the most talented automotive service attendants, we offer these posting tools for free. Turn to MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter