Automotive service attendants are tasked with performing rudimentary maintenance on guests’ vehicles. Typically, this will include fueling, changing oil or other fluids, lubricating parts, replacing lights, cleaning windows or other surfaces or replacing small accessories. It is rare for these professionals to be responsible for diagnosing issues or performing engine repairs.
Because this is a service position at its core, the most important quality to include in your automotive service attendant job description is communication and customer service experience. Candidates need to be familiar professionally interacting with guests, listening for information and instructions and relaying information.
While a fundamental level of mechanical knowledge is required, candidates do not need to understand in-depth mechanics. They should have physical strength and critical thinking as well. The following automotive service attendant job description template will demonstrate some of the best ways to include these requirements.
Automotive Service Attendant Job Summary
Seeking a tactful, professional and capable automotive expert to interact with guests and provide service. Must have excellent communication skills and be dedicated to resolving issues quickly to maintain customer satisfaction. You will be familiar enough with cars to be able to quickly and correctly change the oil, brake and steering fluid and coolant on many different models, as well as refuel the vehicle. Mechanical knowledge is a plus, but not required. You will perform simple cleaning practices once essential maintenance tasks are complete. You should also exhibit strong decision making, mathematics, analysis and evaluation skills, as well as have excellent physical strength and endurance.
- Relay information to customers, listen actively to their requests and special instructions and pass information on to other attendants quickly and precisely
- Dispense oil, steering and brake fluid, coolant and gasoline without spilling or making mistakes
- Check tire pressure and other automobile numbers, recording the information accurately and making recommendations accordingly
- Collect payment from customers, provide accurate change and print out a receipt for the customer quickly
- Explain available accessories to customers, making recommendations and implementing selling techniques to make accessory sales frequently
- Install new accessories immediately upon sale, ensuring they are installed correctly and securely, potentially demonstrating installation and removal instructions to the customer
- Grease or lubricate parts as necessary, performing tests before the customer departs to make sure all maintenance is completed correctly and the vehicle is safe to operate.
- Fulfill cleaning responsibilities, including both the customers’ automotives once maintenance is complete and in the work area surrounding customer’s vehicles
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent GED completion
- Current driver’s license and strong driving history with nearly no accidents
- Two years’ working experience in car shop or as a mechanic
Automotive Service Attendant Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of an automotive service attendant job description should provide jobseekers with a sense of the daily duties of this position so they can decide whether this role could be right for them. When prospective applicants read this section, they should be able to get a sense of what makes this job unique, a general overview of the job’s activities and the priorities and goals that will guide the person who gets the position.
Make this section easy to read by presenting these responsibilities in a bullet-pointed list with no more than eight items. Draw attention to the specific activities involved by using action verbs at the start of each line. With this format, you keep this important section of an automotive service attendant job description easy for jobseekers to skim and determine whether they want to learn more about the required qualifications and ultimately apply for this position.
Here are a few automotive service attendant job responsibilities:
- Service automobiles by fueling and providing regular maintenance including lubrication, oil changes, fluid checks or parts replacements
- Keep track of customer requests and property including keys and vehicles
- Collect payment for services rendered and update vehicle service records
- Clean automotive maintenance and customer waiting areas
- Place and track orders for parts and supplies
Automotive Service Attendant Job Specifications
The portion of an automotive service attendant job description devoted to specifications is where you set forth the qualifications for this position. This job qualifications and skills section can help to weed out applicants not suitable for the job and encourage qualified candidates to apply.
You can specify a minimum level of education or training as well as certain abilities or skills. You may want to divide this section into minimum and preferred requirements in order to establish basic standards and identify key skills that could set exceptional candidates apart. The more specific that you can make these requirements, the more likely you will be to receive resumes featuring the most relevant skills.
You may want to draft this section of an automotive service attendant job description with managers who know exactly what type of background and skills they would like candidates for this position to possess. Once again, it is a good idea to organize these specifications in a bulleted list that is easy for jobseekers to skim and decide whether they are good fit for the open position.
The following automotive service attendant job specifications are suitable for this section of a description:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year of experience or training in automotive service or repair
- Ability to perform data entry and use inventory management software
- Solid customer service skills