Attracting qualified technicians can be a challenge. There are plenty of places to post job openings online, but the content of your advertisement will determine the quality of the applicants you receive. To get an idea of how to create a compelling job opening advertisement, an Automotive Service Technician job description sample is provided below.
Automotive Service Technician Job Summary
German Import Tuners is looking for automotive service techs and mechanics with a passion for European performance vehicles. We provide our customers with a high-quality alternative to expensive dealer service departments. As a technician you will work with the latest tools and software applications to diagnose, maintain, repair, and upgrade some of the most advanced automotive systems in the consumer market today.
Automotive Service Technician Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Test drive vehicles to reproduce and evaluate customer concerns
- Diagnose intermittent drivability faults
- Perform standard maintenance on factory recommended intervals
- Provide additional aftermarket maintenance flushes and services to extend the life of worn assemblies
- Perform inspections and make recommendations for repairs
- Perform repairs according to approved procedures
- Install aftermarket performance upgrades
- Keep a clean and orderly work station
- Assist in shop maintenance and cleaning as required
Automotive Service Technician Skills and Qualifications
- Must be a team player with a good working attitude
- Strong mechanical aptitude with two years of automotive mechanic work history
- Electrical diagnostic skills and experience resolving engine operating faults
- Shop equipment is provided, but you must supply your own hand and pneumatic tools
- Previous experience working in a dealer service center for BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche is highly desirable
- ASE certification and completion of an automotive technical training program strongly preferred
- Welding and metal-working experience desired but not necessary
- Commitment to continuous improvement and ongoing job training
- Clean driving record with no accidents or DUI convictions is mandatory for full employment
German Import Tuners is a local auto repair and performance upgrade shop that has been in business for over nine years. We have a robust and steady customer base. We compete directly with service centers at major dealers and provide our customers with the best affordable option for their service needs. We are outfitted with the latest diagnostics tools and troubleshooting software that allow us to perform advanced repairs on some of the most sophisticated automotive systems on the market.
We offer our employees competitive wages and a friendly work environment that is free from the stress of personal conflicts common in most of the larger dealerships. While we are capable of working with warranty providers, our focus is primarily on customer-pay jobs. This allows us to work directly with vehicle owners to ensure their satisfaction while also securing the pay that our technicians deserve for their services.
If you have the past training in the types of vehicles we support and are ready for a change from the large dealership setting, submit your application for consideration today.
Best Practices Do’s and Don’ts
- To get the most out of your job posting follow the best practical advice.
- Don’t complicate your message with marketing gimmicks – your message should be clear. Applicants are looking for information and not entertainment.
- Don’t hide important work requirements – some shops have strict driving history and background restrictions their technicians must pass. Declare these restrictions up front.
- Do demonstrate your shop’s business culture and philosophy – it’s okay to be unique. Use language to set the tone for your future conversations with potential new hires.
- Do present more than just a wage rate as a benefit to your employees. If there are unique benefits you can offer, make sure these are highlighted in your advertisement.
- Do provide specifics about work qualifications. Specifically state the desired qualities you are after, but avoid overemphasizing every single one. Too much weight on too many qualifications can discourage applicants that may have been a good fit from applying.
- Do include clear directions for applying – make it easy to get into contact with you. An applicant should feel welcomed to submit a resume right away.
Try to inject a healthy dose of keywords into your advertisement, but don’t overdo it. Too many uncomfortably phrased statements make it seem like your company is disingenuous. Keywords should be the sorts of things applicants might search for when looking for job postings. Ideally, your advertisement will be the first to show up in the online search results.
Want to use this job description?
Automotive Service Technician Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of an automotive service technician job description is the meatiest portion of the document and should focus on the daily tasks the new hire will carry out. The duties listed inform potential applicants of the expectations associated with the position, so make sure they pertain to the needs of your company. Furthermore, when creating a list of automotive service technician job responsibilities, ensure your writing is clear and professional.
Bullet points allow you to share the daily expectations of the job with qualified candidates. Limit your list to eight bullet points or fewer to make it easier for potential hires to digest. Also, try to get across the requirements of the position using as few words as possible. This will better clarify the position and help to eliminate any submissions of under-qualified individuals.
The following are examples of responsibilities that often appear in an automotive service technician job description:
- Receive, store and return vehicles by parking and driving according to local, state and federal regulations
- Maintain a safe environment by keeping vehicles locked and reporting suspicious activity
- Service vehicles by changing filters, tires and belts, plus refilling coolant and window cleaner
- Check tires pressure and maintain appropriate tire air levels on vehicles
- Keep up with industry trends through continued education by reading and participating in various educational opportunities
- Clean the work environment and maintain paperwork for clients and company
Automotive Service Technician Job Specifications
Setting the minimum standards of eligibility for jobseekers is vital when mentioning automotive service technician job specifications within the job qualifications and skills section. This area of the listing eliminates many under-qualified applicants and helps those who are qualified know what skills to speak to in their applications. Therefore, present the requirements in your automotive service technician job description in a clear and accurate way.
To gain more understanding of the company’s specific needs for the position, plan to dialogue with the appropriate professional authorities. As you compile information, consider separating the list of qualifications into groups of necessary skills and preferred abilities. While all are important and might be included in multiple job posts, determining which required skills are non-negotiable and which ones are flexible according to your company differentiates your listing from others.
The following is a list of job specifications that will help you determine what to include when creating an automotive service technician job description:
- High School Diploma/GED preferred
- 3 or more years of experience working on motor vehicles in a garage setting
- Ability to move and operate auto repair equipment
- Excellent customer service and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail, knowledge of safety practices and ability to complete projects within a deadline
- Willingness gain necessary training by participating in seminars and classes