It’s the job of automotive technicians to repair, inspect and properly maintain both trucks and cars. The scope of their duties involves utilizing various types of equipment and tools to identify issues, planning repairs, replacing and/or repairing worn out parts and educating customers on automotive issues and repairs.
To adequately perform their jobs, automotive technicians should be well aware of minor details and have a customer service-oriented approach. Technicians should also have good hand-eye coordination and the manual dexterity required to work with various tools, both of which should be noted in your automotive technician job description.
Additional necessary qualities include being well-organized to better keep workspaces in proper order, the physical strength necessary to lift heavy components and knowledge of common automotive diagnostic equipment. Take a close look at the automotive technician job description template below to better understand how to format your description.
Automotive Technician Job Summary
Are you someone who has a knack for car repairs and making them perform better than ever before? If so, we’d love to have you become part of our automotive technician team. You’ll have the opportunity to work on various makes and models and hopefully work on more than a few of your favorite automobiles. We’ll depend on you to use the proper equipment and tools to identify, troubleshoot, repair and upgrade our customers’ vehicles. In return, you’ll have the chance to work in a supportive work environment with plenty of room to advance, grow and learn more about your passion. Think you’ve got the drive to help our repair shop thrive?
- Test drive or physically examine vehicles to determine specific operational issues and to prepare a solid repair/replacement plan
- Use computerized diagnostic equipment to pinpoint problem areas and determine effective solutions
- Test systems and parts of every automobile to ensure they’re in proper working order
- Refer to shop checklist to make sure all necessary tasks have been completed before returning the car to the customer
- Carry out standard automotive maintenance and care, such as restoring proper tire pressure, changing the oil, rotating tires and checking fluid levels
- Work with customers to determine automotive issues and explain to them what’s going on and the necessary repairs needed to restore the vehicle to maximum operational performance, as well as steps they can take to better maintain their vehicle
- Ensure repairs and upgrades are done according to either customer or automotive manufacturer specifications
- Keep workstation in proper order, putting tools and equipment in their appropriate place and cleaning up any spills you notice during your shift
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- In-depth mechanical knowledge of standard engine components and systems
- Physical strength necessary to lift engines and body panels
- Industry certification
- Completion of formal training at a postsecondary institution
- Current ASE certification
Now that you have a better idea of what a solid automotive technician job description looks like, it’s time to draft and distribute your own. You can refer to the example above for ideas on drafting, and distributing your own description is easily done through your company website, with the help of your employees and through your company’s social media profiles.
With those ideas in mind, know that sharing your job description can sometimes be a bit more time and energy consuming than you might like. To make the job easier on yourself and to stand the best chance of finding well-qualified candidates, MightyRecruiter makes it easy for you to post jobs for free through the use of hundreds of job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter