Baggage porters are needed at hotels, transportation terminals and similar facilities to assist individuals with their luggage. Porters may be expected to perform additional duties to make guests feel at home at the establishment.
Customer service skills are of the utmost importance in this profession, so you should state this in your baggage porter job description. A friendly personality will go a long way, too, and porters need to meet the high standards of excellence set forth by the company.
Communication skills are also important. Since baggage porters generally work at hotels, they are often expected to provide guests with information related to the area they are in. Create a top-notch baggage porter job description by following the structure of the example provided below.
Baggage Porter Job Summary
Are you passionate about helping others and always look for solutions? You can put that compassion and creativity to good use as a baggage porter. We are currently seeking an enthusiastic individual who has no problem going the extra mile to ensure everyone has the information they need to have an enjoyable vacation. This is a growing company, so there is plenty of room for growth and to make your mark early on. You will meet new people every single day in this line of work, providing plenty of opportunities to represent the company and the area as people visit. We provide excellent on-the-job training, pay and benefits to hardworking candidates.
- Transfer luggage from a guest’s car to the hotel room, making multiple trips if necessary to ensure everything is delivered in a timely manner
- Greet guests as soon as they arrive to the hotel, and ask if there is anything that can be done to provide them with a pleasant stay
- Provide information to guests when asked, which can include points of interest around the city or good places to eat nearby
- Run basic errands for guests, such as going to the nearby convenience store to pick up supplies or snacks
- Maintain a clean entrance area and lobby so guests are greeted by a pristine entryway
- Assist with the security team by reporting any suspicious activity or providing pertinent information regarding an investigation
- Help guests with special needs get to their hotel rooms, and ensure they have a pleasant, comfortable experience
- Arrange transportation for guests, including taxis or shuttles, so that they can reach destinations around the city
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Able to work a flexible work schedule, including nights and weekends
- Clean driving record
- Strong work ethic
- Good at multitasking
- High school diploma or equivalent
Your baggage porter job description needs to do more than just lay out the responsibilities of the job. It needs to give the position value so that someone reading it feels compelled to apply. Jobseekers want to know they will enjoy this line of employment before taking the time to send in their resumes. You also should make it easy for job hunters to find your description by posting it to as many places as possible.
While posting your job description everywhere seems like it would cost a fair amount of cash, you would be amazed at all the places you can post for free. You should already have a company website to advertise the open job, and you can also use social media accounts, such as Facebook, LinkedIn and many others. Finally, use MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards to save time posting to hundreds of job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter