Bill collectors are a part of a company’s financial department. They are responsible for keeping track of unpaid bills and contacting customers to collect payment. They must be familiar with typical financing options, both through the collecting company and otherwise, in order to help customers pay their bills however they can.
Nearly all the skills you should include on your bill collector job description revolve around communication. The position requires collectors to interact with customers in a professional and tactful manner, so they must exhibit negotiation, listening and speaking skills.
In addition to communication abilities, your job description should make it clear that a strong understanding of the industry your company is based in is necessary. Bill collectors must be familiar with finance and the economy in order to do their job. The following bill collector job description template will help you put your job description together.
Bill Collector Job Summary
We are looking for a tactful bill collector who has excellent communication skills, including interpersonal, professional, written and oral. You should be a master of negotiation and collaboration, being able to work with clients who have outstanding bills to come to an arrangement. You will explain our financing options and cooperate with the clients to reach an agreement that makes it easy for them to pay their bill and encourages them to return to do business with us in the future. If you are a charismatic and persuasive professional with a fundamental understanding of finance, business practices and economics, we are looking for you to join our financial department.
- Track accounts with unpaid bills, gathering information when possible and creating reports to present to managers on a weekly basis
- Contact clients who have failed to pay their bills through calls and emails and eventually personal visits
- Solicit payment of bills through negotiation and professional communication, remaining tactful, sympathetic and respectful at all times
- Relay information regarding clients’ options, including information about the financing options we and others offer that may help them repay their bill
- Listen to clients and collaborate to create a strategy that works with their needs and schedules to get their bills repaid quickly and effectively
- Answer client inquiries about payment, services and financing options clearly and precisely to help them understand their options
- Enter information into corporate spreadsheets once bill has been paid and submit reports of account information
- Complete minor administrative duties before and after interacting with clients, including paperwork and the creation of special account reports
Job Skills & Qualifications
- One year of working experience in bill collection or other communication-based position
- High school diploma or equivalent GED completion
- Strong understanding or working experience in finance
- Associate degree or higher in communication or finance
Writing your bill collector job description and editing it until it is as strong as possible is only the first step in the hiring process. Unless a large audience of job seekers sees it, you will not attract the talented candidates you need. You should advertise your opening on your company’s website, through social media and, most importantly, on online job boards. This is the outlet where most job seekers are looking for opportunities.
MightyRecruiter allows you to take advantage of the benefits of online job boards. We offer free posting tools to get your job description on hundreds of different boards all at once. This is the best way to have your opening reach the most bill collection professionals as possible. Learn more about the tools you can use through MightyRecruiter to get word out about your bill collector position.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter