Biological technicians are research professionals who can be found in a variety of scientific settings. They are responsible for performing experiments and tests, usually under the supervision of a biologist or biomedical engineer. The vast majority of biological technicians must possess at least a two-year degree to find employment.
When writing your biological technician job description, you will want to place a significant amount of emphasis on analytical abilities, data interpretation and sample collection. Biological technicians should understand how to operate and maintain common laboratory tools and instruments.
The right biological technician will pay close attention to detail and be comfortable handling a wide array of specimens. He or she should also be used to collecting and interpreting data. Use the following example as a guide or blueprint when the time comes to write your own biological technician job description.
Biological Technician Job Summary
As a biological technician here at our cutting-edge medical laboratory, you will be responsible for performing a variety of scientific tests and supporting a team of biologists. We’ll depend on you to apply basic microbiological principles when testing and storing genetic materials. As a key member of the research team, you will be charged with ensuring the laboratory remains clean and that all equipment is sterile and functioning. The ideal candidate will have experience working in an environment with live microbes. As a qualified technician, you’ll be free to work independently for extended periods of time. All biological technicians will be responsible for reporting to the Director of Research in the Department of Biological & Genetic Testing at the end of each day.
- Perform tests on biological tissues to determine the cause of illness or injury in respective patient; use findings to help physicians decide on an effective approach to disease and injury treatment and prevention
- Record findings and data in official laboratory documents and transcripts; periodically report recordings to medical biologists and geneticists
- Calibrate, sanitize, sterilize, maintain and properly clean laboratory equipment using appropriate cleaning solutions and technologies
- Follow company and laboratory rules and regulations regarding researcher and patient safety
- Transport biological specimens to various hospitals and medical facilities in the area after testing.
- Record each delivery in record book
- Conduct quality control tests and procedures on reagents and products and ensure they meet stringent laboratory standards
- Use quantitative and patient data to verify the validity of recorded data on a regular basis
- Prepare biological specimens for daily testing and analysis; ensure unopened specimens are stored at appropriate temperature and humidity prior
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Familiarity with laboratory equipment and protocol
- Associate of Science in Biotechnology or Biology from an accredited two-year community or vocational college
- Excellent analytical and observational skills
- Superb problem-solving abilities
- Prior experience testing human tissues for illnesses
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time (four or more hours)
- Willingness to work some weekends and federal holidays
If you strive to attract the right type of candidates for your company, your first step will be to write a biological technician job description that impresses and informs jobseekers. When posting your description, be sure it is clearly oriented towards workers with the right type of experience and education. Fortunately for employers, there are numerous career sites, such as LinkedIn, Monster and Indeed, where you find qualified jobseekers.
Although it can be a time-consuming process, posting a well-written job description to a job board is the best ways to fill an empty position. If you are ready to find your next employee, try using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of the most popular internet job boards with just one click.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter