Biology teachers can be found in public and private institutions at the middle or high school level. They are responsible of planning lessons, delivering lectures and assessing students in the field of biology. Biology teachers may also conduct laboratory sessions for experiential learning in addition to classroom research and study.
When you turn your attention to the skills section of your biology teacher job description, you should stress the importance of being creative and resourceful to engage students through a variety of teaching techniques. You also want a candidate with excellent communication and interactive skills who can stimulate an interest to pursue higher education in a scientific field.
The ideal candidate for your position will have the right balance of enthusiasm and knowledge to foster a positive learning environment. You can use the biology teacher job description template below to make your job description get noticed by experienced applicants.
Biology Teacher Job Summary
Did you have that one teacher who motivated you to learn and love a subject? With our biology teacher opening, you can be that person for hopefully more than one of our students. Our high school focuses on the sciences, developing learning modules to make education more interactive for our student body. We are in need of qualified biology teachers with a passion for laboratory time to stimulate young minds towards a future in a STEM field. You’ll also be responsible for incorporating history and the humanities into classroom learning structure for a better understanding of how scientific study has changed over time. If you are looking for a unique opportunity in teaching that explores education in new ways, our environment may be the challenge you want.
- Plan lessons, present information, promote discussion, assess performance and modify learning techniques in the study of biology for students in high school
- Instruct students in large classroom settings as well as small groups to expand knowledge of scientific method and biological sciences
- Provide a safe and stable learning environment and discipline misbehaving disrespectful students in strict adherence with district policy
- Encourage active participation and monitor individual student performance to enhance their understanding and master skills
- Utilize state and district standards concerning exam administration, and record scores for submission to appropriate governing agency
- Attend departmental and school-wide educator meetings on monthly basis in addition to quarterly training conferences for continuing education
- Communicate with students and parents through conferences, telephone calls and email about student performance, goal setting, behavior problems and other issues
- Conduct safety drills or lead guidance sessions when necessary throughout school year for overall student security outside of biology instruction
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in secondary education with a concentration in biology
- State teaching certification and background check
- Previous experience in high school environment
- Oral and written communication skills
- Master’s degree in related field
A well-written job description is a smart way to communicate to potential candidates the qualities and skills you are seeking for your biology teacher opening. You should post your description on your school district website, but also take advantage of social media platforms, district job sites and other areas where applicants may look.
Most high school teachers today scour through job boards online to find opportunities for positions they find attractive. Your opening can reach talented teachers who are looking for a new position. You can take advantage of free job postings by advertising your biology teacher job description with MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter