Biology teachers can be found in public and private institutions at the middle or high school level. They are responsible of planning lessons, delivering lectures and assessing students in the field of biology. Biology teachers may also conduct laboratory sessions for experiential learning in addition to classroom research and study.
When you turn your attention to the skills section of your biology teacher job description, you should stress the importance of being creative and resourceful to engage students through a variety of teaching techniques. You also want a candidate with excellent communication and interactive skills who can stimulate an interest to pursue higher education in a scientific field.
The ideal candidate for your position will have the right balance of enthusiasm and knowledge to foster a positive learning environment. You can use the biology teacher job description template below to make your job description get noticed by experienced applicants.
Biology Teacher Job Summary
Did you have that one teacher who motivated you to learn and love a subject? With our biology teacher opening, you can be that person for hopefully more than one of our students. Our high school focuses on the sciences, developing learning modules to make education more interactive for our student body. We are in need of qualified biology teachers with a passion for laboratory time to stimulate young minds towards a future in a STEM field. You’ll also be responsible for incorporating history and the humanities into classroom learning structure for a better understanding of how scientific study has changed over time. If you are looking for a unique opportunity in teaching that explores education in new ways, our environment may be the challenge you want.
- Plan lessons, present information, promote discussion, assess performance and modify learning techniques in the study of biology for students in high school
- Instruct students in large classroom settings as well as small groups to expand knowledge of scientific method and biological sciences
- Provide a safe and stable learning environment and discipline misbehaving disrespectful students in strict adherence with district policy
- Encourage active participation and monitor individual student performance to enhance their understanding and master skills
- Utilize state and district standards concerning exam administration, and record scores for submission to appropriate governing agency
- Attend departmental and school-wide educator meetings on monthly basis in addition to quarterly training conferences for continuing education
- Communicate with students and parents through conferences, telephone calls and email about student performance, goal setting, behavior problems and other issues
- Conduct safety drills or lead guidance sessions when necessary throughout school year for overall student security outside of biology instruction
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in secondary education with a concentration in biology
- State teaching certification and background check
- Previous experience in high school environment
- Oral and written communication skills
- Master’s degree in related field
Want to use this job description?
Biology Teacher Job Responsibilities
A biology teacher job description needs to have in-depth information about the position to describe it accurately, and the job responsibilities section needs to be the lengthiest component of the posting. Before you write about the specific role of instructing biology, think about the general duties any teacher at your school would have. These responsibilities will be in the areas of instruction, evaluation and student discipline, but may also be in department management or committee membership. Once you have a basic outline of the general obligations, you can personalize them to biology instruction.
To keep your biology teacher job description organized and easily readable, use a bulleted list to group information. For example, you will want to list at least six core functions in the posting, but do not go over eight points.
Here are some biology teacher job responsibilities to inspire you:
- Take the curriculum framework and develop lesson plans to instruct the entirety of the coursework
- Utilize technological modalities and hands-on laboratory work to further lesson effectiveness
- Serve as chair of the curriculum planning committee for the science department
- Evaluate student performance regularly and keep evaluation records up to date
- Communicate well with other staff, students and their parents or guardians, including leading student conferences each semester
Biology Teacher Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your biology teacher job description is the place where you definitively specify what experience, education and skills the successful applicant needs. It is vital for the overall success of your job description to spend extra time designing this section. A well-written list of requirements can increase the number of qualified candidates for your position because some potential applicants will see that they have adequate education or experience to apply.
Make separate bulleted lists in this section to enable a prospective applicant to easily see what the required specifications are and which ones are optional. After you write separate lists, order the points in each list so that the most important one comes first. This way, your biology teacher job specifications are the clearest they can be for applicants.
See below for specific examples that will help you write the list of requirements for your biology teacher job description.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology or related field, with a current state teaching credential and valid background check
- Minimum of three years’ teaching experience at the secondary level
- Experience in a wide variety of educational techniques to instruct effectively
- Preference for additional training in secondary level science education focusing on laboratory skills