Boiler operators perform a range of tasks involved in day-to-day operation and maintenance of boilers. They ensure appropriate fuel delivery to keep the boiler working. Operators devote significant time to monitoring meters and gauges to maintain fuel, chemical and water levels, adjusting the levels as necessary. Additional tasks include maintenance and repairs.
While a high school diploma suffices for some boiler operator jobs, if you have a complex system, your boiler operator job description should include additional educational or training requirements. Find out if your location requires a specific type of licensing or certification so you can include it in your job description.
A boiler operator must possess the physical stamina and manual dexterity to properly perform all tasks. Attention to detail is also essential, as the operator must monitor equipment and quickly identify potential safety issues. Our boiler operator job description template below includes further key characteristics.
Boiler Operator Job Summary
If you are looking for a challenging position with a high degree of independence and responsibility, consider applying for our boiler operator position. Our company is a reputable manufacturer with several plants located throughout the country. As the boiler operator at our Ohio plant, you will supervise a team of assistant boiler tenders and mechanics in ensuring the building’s mechanical systems stay in top working condition. Our system is newly installed and includes many cutting-edge safety features. You will work with top-of-the-line equipment and a great team of motivated and knowledgeable professionals. We offer a competitive compensation package as well as numerous training opportunities and access to the latest technology.
- Ensure optimal and continuous operation of mechanical systems by performing routine inspections and maintenance, monitoring metering equipment and adjusting levels as necessary
- Maintain systems by scheduling regular inspections, cleanings, filter replacement and all other tasks necessary to keep all components performing optimally; identify and repair or replace malfunctioning components
- Ensure safety by monitoring safety equipment, identifying potential issues and taking appropriate steps to suspend operations and repair the problem
- Perform necessary repairs and replacements, obtain replacement parts and upgrade components as needed while staying within the budget
- Supervise team of assistant operators and mechanics by delegating repair, maintenance and monitoring tasks, scheduling jobs, providing appropriate instruction and giving constructive feedback on performance
- Study to keep current on knowledge of all applicable safety laws and regulations in order to ensure full compliance at all times
- Create and enter properly documented records of inspections, maintenance routines and repairs
- Sustain up-to-date knowledge of developments in relevant technology and make recommendations for overhauls and upgrades
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Top-level boiler operator license in at least one state
- Minimum 5 years of experience with complex systems and/or the industrial sector
- Supervisory and/or project management experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and highly safety-conscious
- Completed apprenticeship program
- Proficiency in computerized maintenance management system
If you want to get applications from candidates who are right for the job, you need to tailor your boiler operator job description to your audience. A description that clearly explains the positions and incentives you offer while stating your requirements goes a long way towards weeding out irrelevant applications.
Once you have perfected your description, you need to put it where qualified applicants will see it. One way of letting job seekers know about your boiler operator position is to announce the position on your website. Contacting placement offices at trade schools or apprenticeship programs can also put you in touch with promising candidates. However, online job boards still remain the most popular way to reach a vast array of qualified job seekers. Using MightyRecruiter is an easy way to post jobs for free on hundreds of online boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter