Business systems analysts analyze requirements and solve information problems within an organization. They also study its computer systems, design computer programs and recommend system protocols and controls to help an organization run more effectively and efficiently. They work with the business and information technology groups to understand their needs and limitations.
In the skills section of the business systems analyst job description, you should emphasize that the candidate should have a background in information technology, computer programming and business or management information systems. Typically, candidates have at least a bachelor’s degree, but applicants having a master’s degree in business administration in information systems is preferred.
Business systems analysts are constantly learning about new and innovative technologies so that they help their business or organization stay competitive in the market. Read the business systems analyst job description below to further understand what you should include in your job posting.
Business Systems Analyst Job Summary
Do you have strong analytical skills and excel at developing creative systems solutions? Are you always learning about up and coming technology? We now have an opening for a business systems analyst, where you will use your background in information systems to help us make our systems more efficient and effective. We’re looking for someone with strong communication and problem-solving skills and business and information technology experience to work with various stakeholders to meet business needs. You’ll have the opportunity to make a lasting impression by implementing innovative improvements and leading projects. Become a valued member of our team, and we’ll reward you with advancement opportunities, exceptional benefits and competitive pay.
- Analyze business and engineering and data processing problems to improve computer systems and implement solutions
- Examine user requirements, procedures and problems to improve existing systems and automation while reviewing and analyzing technical reports, manuals, periodicals and other reference materials to develop programs to meet needs
- Review existing computer systems to understand capabilities, scheduling and workflow limitations, and make recommendations, including upgrading to and purchasing new equipment or software packages
- Document, develop and revise system design procedures, test procedures and quality standards
- Maintain, test and monitor computer systems and programs while coordinating installations of new programs and systems
- Assist staff in resolving computer-related problems, such as programming errors and malfunctions, and train users on computer programs and systems
- Consult with management to reach agreement on system operating principles, and work with clients on information computation or processing needs to be addressed
- Supervise computer programmers or systems analysts by taking on project management lead roles in systems projects
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Understanding of information technology, computer programming and management information systems
- Strong reading, writing, speaking and interpersonal skills
- Proven record of complex problem solving and decision making
- Master’s degree in business administration with a focus on information systems
Want to use this job description?
Business Systems Analyst Job Responsibilities
As you write the job responsibilities section of a business systems analyst job description, you should provide applicants with a sense of the duties you will require of them. Strive to strike a balance between daily responsibilities and the larger occupational objectives in order to attract qualified and ambitious candidates. A detailed list of responsibilities can also limit the number of unqualified jobseekers who apply.
Keep the formatting and substance of this section simple and straightforward. Use bullet points to set requirements apart, and start each line with a strong action verb. If you list more than eight responsibilities in your business systems analyst job description, you may risk confusing even the most qualified applicant.
The following business systems analyst job responsibilities could be suitable for your job description:
- Determine data processing and storage needs in order to design and maintain enterprise-level systems and networks
- Develop testing procedures, updates and patches to maintain and improve business system performance
- Generate technical support documentation and establish protocols for the information technology department to assist management and employees
- Expand or refine company systems to keep pace with development and growth
- Research cutting-edge applications and hardware to ensure that business systems remain current and secure
Business Systems Analyst Job Specifications
The section of the business systems analyst job description in which you set forth the skills and qualifications of a competitive applicant can make a significant difference in the quality of the applications you receive. You may want to consult with employees in related areas or look up comparable job descriptions to determine which areas of expertise candidates should have to be on the cutting edge of this field.
In addition to communicating the minimum requirements for the position, you might want to include a list of preferred qualifications in your business systems analyst job description. A combination of basic and ideal qualifications can help the right candidate realize that they are perfect for the job. This amount of detail could also help applicants who have one or two of the basic skills you are looking for and none of the preferred skills to realize that they are not the best fit.
Consider combining education and experience requirements with technical or other specialized abilities that are necessary to excel in this role. The right candidate could have outstanding technical abilities and less experience but should not feel insufficiently qualified to compete for this position.
Here are a few business systems analyst job specifications that you might include:
- Prior experience developing and testing business systems
- Background in data science and computer engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to business audiences