A thoughtfully written job description engages the best talent and makes a case for why they should pursue a career with your company. Even in a slow economy, the cream of the crop tends to be in a position to be picky about employment because their premier skills and expertise usually affords them a high degree of stability. If you want to draw candidates who can bring something special to the table, you need to take the time to draft a job description that demands the attention of the highest caliber people. To help guide you, we have created a call center representative job description sample for your reference.
Framing each section of your listing in a manner that clearly communicates the information important to the consummate call center professional is key to attracting the attention you want. Carefully consider what you have to offer, both in terms of the opening you’re advertising and in terms of your company. Highlight the requirements that will keep the less-qualified from wasting your time, and point out the benefits that will make the highly qualified want to bring their talents to your business. Here is an example of a call center representative job description designed to appeal to top candidates.
Call Center Representative Job Summary
You will serve as the first point of contact for a premier provider of logistics services to businesses of all sizes. You will represent our core values of Communication, Integrity and Accountability as you shepherd the needs of customers new and old through to their optimal fulfillment. You will collaborate with sales teams and project managers to support the seamless delivery of services consistent with our commitment to client satisfaction.
Kutcher Logistics offers a highly-competitive benefits package, including:
• Industry-leading base salary
• Comprehensive healthcare plans with generous company contributions
• Retirement plans including 401K with company match
• Flexible Spending Account
• Unlimited Paid Time Off
• Company training
• School tuition assistance
• Career development programs
Call Center Representative Job Responsibilities
- Receive phone calls and chat requests from prospective and existing customers
- Provide accurate and reliable information about the company and products and services offered
- Complete account-maintenance requests
- Assist clients with technical issues and escalate to appropriate departments when necessary
- Engage customers in friendly conversation to identify specific business needs and recommend the best solutions
- Recognize and pursue opportunities to cross-sell and/or to promote value-added products and services
- Overcome resistance and objections using gentle persuasion
- Assume ownership of any issues identified during client interaction all the way to resolution
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all communications with customers using proprietary client-management software
- Communicate opportunities and issues with sales team and project coordinators
- Consistently meet or exceed quality assurance standards and other key metrics for performance
Call Center Representative Skills and Qualifications
- Associate’s Degree, preferably in business or a related field
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Two to five years of experience in a high-volume call center
- Ability to quickly learn proprietary software
- Flexibility to adapt to an environment of rapid, constant change
- Prior experience in sales or offering value-added solutions
- Dedicated work ethic with a proactive approach and a responsive attitude
- Demonstrated capacity to defuse and deescalate complex situations
- Professional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Effective ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Verifiable touch-typing speed of 45 WPM or greater
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Kutcher Logistics began in a San Bernardino basement in 2002 with a meager investment of $15,000—the entirety of our founder’s life savings. By the end of our first decade, we had grown into one of the dominant forces in the business services industry. Our continued success as a Fortune 50 company is driven by our core values of Communication, Integrity and Accountability, exemplified every day by our internationally recognized family of superlative employees.
Some Job Description Do’s and Don’ts
- As you compose your employment listing, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Do use bullet lists to make your description more engaging and easier to read.
- Do provide a comprehensive overview of the position’s requirements to help readers determine if they suit the job.
- Do promote the company’s strengths to get the prospective candidate excited about applying.
- Don’t resort to vagueness or “sugarcoating” in an effort to increase the number of applicants. Quality matters more than quantity.
- Don’t incorporate too many keywords. Any keywords used should be relevant and natural.
Call Center Representative Job Responsibilities
When you run a fast-paced phone or internet business, your customer relationships rely on talented call center representatives capable of putting their best foot forward as the primary touch point for your brand. Seasonal workers, temps and unmotivated workers won’t do. You need people invested, motivated and committed to their place at the forefront of company growth.
So how do you find those perfect call center representatives? With a perfect call center representative job description. Many employers fall into the trap of copy-paste form job descriptions found online, devoid of identifying company information and lacking in details on the role or company values. The most talented candidates will skim right past a stock description.
Spruce your call center representative job description up and avoid a talent pool without much talent at all. Give the description energy with action verbs, launching each sentence with in impactful statement that provides a clear depiction of jobseeker accountabilities and expectations in a short but effective bullet. For example, these are our call center representative job responsibilities:
- Answer inbound calls from customers concerning new orders, order inquiries and issues for a national gift chocolatier
- Deliver an exceptional customer experience through positive, friendly customer service
- Remain current on product knowledge and promotions; provide informative answers
- Swiftly and creatively resolve problems to customer satisfaction; escalate to management as needed
- Follow through with fulfillment teams on any ongoing order issues or status requests
Call Center Representative Job Specifications
You’ve thought about what you don’t want. Next you need to clarify what you do want by writing out a list of 5-6 bullets detailing key job qualifications and skills to complete your call center representative job description. Think about your top performers and the traits that make them the best on the team. Quantify those traits and combine them with the general requirements for functioning in the role, and you have your list of job qualifications.
Your requirements can include qualifiers such as a certain education level or particular technical skills. Consider what you usually train new hires on, then consider what you prefer they didn’t need training on at all. Include that in the requirements for your call center representative job description to cut down on unnecessary applicant screening time, reduce new hire onboarding and get your team up and running as quickly as possible.
We’ve written our own sample call center representative job specifications:
- Preference given to candidates with prior customer service experience, but will train up entry-level
- Familiar with Avaya PBX software, data entry basics and general office software
- Exceptional customer service demeanor a must with a positive “can-do” attitude
- Capable of sitting in stationary position for periods of 3-4 hours
- Possess high school diploma or higher education