Cardiovascular technicians conduct tests and create images of procedures that involve the heart. During the course of a day, they may take medical histories, prepare imaging equipment, answer patients’ questions about procedures, review images, analyze diagnostic information and record findings in patients’ files.
Good cardiovascular technicians will have certain qualities in order to perform their job successfully. When creating your cardiovascular technician job description, make sure to include the qualities that you specifically are looking for. Technicians should be technically skilled and detail oriented in order to use the diagnostic equipment and read the results correctly.
Being able to move patients, remain on their feet for lengthy periods of time and hand-eye coordination are also important. Applicants should also have good interpersonal skills. To get a good idea of how to incorporate these qualities in your cardiovascular technician job description, read the example below.
Cardiovascular Technician Job Summary
As a cardiovascular technician for our facility, you will provide inpatient and outpatient diagnostic tests for a variety of patients. You will be a team member and will work with cardiovascular physicians and other personnel, reporting to the area director. Your responsibilities will include providing meaningful and safe service to patients and the cardiovascular team. With your knowledge of hemodynamics, cardiovascular anatomy and sterile technique, your tasks on any given day will change according to the needs of the physicians. Whether it is performing a sonography, filling out patients’ charts, cleaning equipment or assuming scrub responsibilities, you will fulfill a meaningful service for our staff and/or patients.
- Conduct cardiovascular tests, such as electrocardiograms, echocardiograms, stress tests and phonocardiograms, to record the cardiac activity of patients
- Use specialized recording devices, electronic test equipment or laboratory instruments to perform diagnostic tests
- Prepare patients for testing procedures by explaining them fully and ensuring the comfort and safety of the patients
- Scrub in and assist physician by setting up sterile field, positioning patient properly and maintaining interventional and/or diagnostic equipment
- Monitor heart rate and blood pressure of patients during diagnostic procedures and alert physicians to changes or abnormalities
- Obtain medical history of patient and record in charts
- Adjust controls and equipment per established protocol or physicians’ orders
- Operate and maintain diagnostic equipment through calibration and troubleshooting, document problems with equipment and set up repair services
- Communicate with nursing departments, ancillary departments and patients’ families as directed
- Document tests, diagnoses, prognoses and all other relevant information in patients’ charts
- Follow safety procedures and HIPAA guidelines to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Clean and sanitize equipment daily and between each patient
- Train or supervise students or cardiology technologists
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate degree
- Minimum two years of experience in cardiovascular program, ICU, cath lab or ER
- BLS certification
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- ACLS certification
- IV training and competency
Writing a clear and concise cardiovascular technician job description is crucial in attracting high quality candidates, but it is only the start when looking for an employee. The next step is to take advantage of the various platforms available that will showcase your job posting. Asking for referrals from employees and former colleagues is one route available, and posting on social network sites will help you reach a large number of people for little to no cost.
Another good place to post your job is on various online job boards. Since jobseekers often check out job boards for open positions, this is a great way to get the word out, but it can be time-consuming to post on each one individually. Your time can be better spent by using MightyRecruiter to post your job for free on multiple boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter