Career counselors are usually employed in academic settings, aiding students in building future educational or career paths. They typically help clients evaluate their abilities and interests, overcome challenges and obstacles, and develop necessary skills. Moreover, they may assist people in learning how to job hunt, including associated activities such as interviewing, writing resumes and crafting cover letters.
When writing your career counselor job description, be sure to emphasize several crucial and necessary skills. You’ll need to attract candidates who are excellent communicators, as well as compassionate listeners who can express true empathy toward clients.
Finally, your career counselor job description should mention educational and licensing requirements. Most ideal applicants should hold a master’s degree in counseling or a related field, as well as state-issued credentials. Look at our example to get an idea of what essentials to include in your own job posting.
Career Counselor Job Summary
Your next opportunity to help people and make a difference might lie in our open career counselor position. As part of the career services center for a large public university, you’ll provide a wealth of useful information in key areas such as career discovery and planning, interviewing skills, resume writing and more. You’ll also have the chance to work one-on-one with individual students, playing an important role as a leader or mentor in helping these individuals shape their futures. Interaction with our diverse student body in an affirming, positive environment affords you the intangible benefits of putting your interpersonal communication talents to work in coaching and guiding our students. In addition, you’ll enjoy a competitive pay and benefits package along with opportunities for growth and advancement.
- Guide students in determining their interests and abilities using a wide range of methods, such as aptitude assessments, interviews and planning materials
- Counsel individual learners, working with them to aid in the development of both hard and soft skills
- Conduct group workshops on a variety of topics, including writing resumes and cover letters, successful job interviewing, using university employment databases and career development resources, researching graduate programs, and more
- Work with students to overcome issues that could undermine their academic or career success
- Help students craft a long-term plan for reaching their career objectives
- Connect learners to additional resources such as financial aid, vocational training, extensive counseling and therapy services, medical care providers, or other state and local assistance as needed
- Plan and publicize the career services center’s programs and events such as workshops, job fairs, and orientation sessions
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and other student services divisions to help achieve university-wide goals and contribute to its long-range planning
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in education, career counseling or similar field
- Pass a background check and drug screening
- Hold a current state-issued Resident Educator License
- Two years of classroom teaching experience or prior experience as a career counselor
Although you’ll create a winning career counselor job description, your recruitment efforts do not stop there. To get the attention of top candidates in the field, you need to ensure that your job posting is seen by them. Social media is one avenue to attract candidates, but you should also ask your existing employees to share your posting within their professional and social circles. While it’s also likely that you’ve already planned to include information about your opening on your organization’s website, be sure you do not forget this crucial step. Finally, make sure you upload the posting to industry-specific recruitment websites for a little extra exposure.
Nevertheless, remember that you want to cast as wide a net as possible to find the right applicants to fill the position. MightyRecruiter can help with that, affording you the ability to post jobs for free on hundreds of online job search sites.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter