Cargo and freight agents help to manage logistics for mail carriers and package delivery services. They take orders directly from customers and arrange shipments other by ground, air or rail. Such agents often serve as the point of contact between customers and freight companies, ensuring that all items are delivered and helping customers calculate shipping costs.
The cargo and freight agent job description template shown here gives you a good idea of the skills and experience you should be searching for in your next agent. He or she should have a working knowledge of spreadsheet and database management programs, as well as online tracking tools.
Customer service skills are also a must for this position, as is a knowledge of tariff laws if your company ships internationally. Review the cargo and freight agent job description before creating your listing to see how to best list these job requirements.
Cargo and Freight Agent Job Summary
Receiving a gift package or correspondence from a loved one can help to brighten even the darkest of days. You can be a part of this process by joining our team as a cargo and freight agent. This position plays a vital role in our logistics process, working under the direction of freight manager to represent our company with customers. You’ll come to be that person who they rely on to explain our shipping options to them and help assuage their concerns about their items being delivered on time. This is a great position to help acquire and/or hone your customer service skills, as well as to gain exposure to the practical applications of digital data management tools. You’ll also gain a unique insight into the logistics industry.
- Work directly with customers discussing shipping options and calculating costs to deliver mail and freight domestically and/or internationally
- Receive and prepare items to be shipped, obtaining their dimensions and helping customers select the right protective packaging in order to guarantee safe delivery
- Prepare all bills, invoices, liability waivers and other documents for customers to review and sign prior to shipment
- Convey all items to packaging and warehouse teams alongside shipping instructions
- Monitor daily shipment inventories and logs to verify that items were picked up at the right designated times with the correct route info
- Use tracking software to follow the progress of shipped items and to both confirm their receipt and notify customers of completed deliveries
- Take the necessary steps to retrieve, process and record all of the paperwork and funds accompanying certified mail or payment on delivery packages
- Coordinate with freight manager and other shipping department personnel to help track down deliveries that are either lost or delayed
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Strong understanding of the all of the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel and Access
- Demonstrated mathematical skills
- Awareness of the importance of customer service
- Good communicator
- Strong organizational and clerical skills
- Understanding of domestic and international shipping regulations, including tariff laws and trade agreements
Understanding where you can find the right candidates for your position goes right up there in terms of importance with using the cargo and freight agent job description to create a strong listing. Community job boards can help get your posting out there to job seekers in your community. Job placement programs offer the advantage of screening candidates before sending them your way. Taking advantage of such a resource can help to streamline your job search.
Online job boards are becoming an ever more effective method at finding qualified applicants due to the added exposure they provide for your listing. Yet to fully take advantage of them, you need to get your job posted on as many as possible. With the help of services such as MightyRecruiter, you can get access to several online outlets offering job positing for free to help expand your search for your next agent.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter