Carpet installers perform the labor of measuring, cutting and adhering new carpet for a space in private or commercial settings. They create sketches of the room, shear the carpet to fit the area exactly and use a variety of tools to secure it to the ground.
This job requires precise measurements, attention to detail and industry-specific techniques. A carpet installer should be able to perform the manual tasks required of the job as well as the soft skills of communication and teamwork. Your carpet installer job description should emphasize the physical and mental aspects of the work.
Since many carpet installation skills can be taught on the job, there usually isn’t any higher education or certification to look for in applicants, though experience with tools and teamwork can positively impact their performance. For more information about how to craft the ideal carpet installer job description, peruse the example below.
Carpet Installer Job Summary
Do you have the skills necessary to make a good carpet installer, such as professional customer service, attention to detail and precise measurement, knowledge of industry-specific materials and techniques and the ability to handle tools? If you take pride in your craftsmanship and value a job well done, a career as a professional carpet installer is right for you. From private residences to businesses with local flavor to upscale corporate locations, this job will take you to an interesting destination every day and let you interact with people from all walks of life. Carpet installation is where interior design meets power tools, and in exchange for our professionals’ knowledge and experience, we offer excellent pay and benefits.
- Install carpet cleanly by smoothing rough patches in the surface before installation starts
- Measure area to be carpeted carefully, make sketches as a guideline and then cut the carpet precisely to fit the unique specifications of the space
- Secure carpet in place with tacks, staples, tape or glue, adjusting as needed to accommodate seams in the carpet and doorways where there must be reinforcements
- Anticipate the traffic patterns in the room, and plan carpet seams accordingly to avoid premature wear
- Communicate your schedule and any unexpected complications with the client in a timely, respectful and professional manner
- Clean the work space thoroughly before departing on the last day of the job, including vacuuming, disposing of carpet fragments and moving furniture back into the space
- Adjust installation method (tack strips, adhesive or metal treads) according to the environment and the traffic in the room
- Move furniture as needed, taking care not to soil or damage it
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to perform physical tasks that may become strenuous
- Communication and teamwork proficiency
- Willingness to take the time for precision
- Maintain safe work practices while meeting strict deadlines
- Basic knowledge of tools such as knives, staple guns, shears and glue guns; on-the-job training provides specific knowledge
- Apprenticeship or position as carpet installation helper
Having an appealing job description that makes job seekers excited to work for you is only helpful if people in the industry actually see your posting. Your carpet installer job description needs to be posted in meaningful places to get responses from highly qualified and motivated workers.
These days, almost everyone turns to the internet first when they’re starting a job search, so make sure you have a presence online. Post your job description to your own website and social media accounts, as well as to online job boards. To save time and post jobs for free to a huge range of job boards all at once, check out MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter