CDL drivers transport goods between locations using tractor trailers and heavy trucks. They often travel extensive distances to deliver their loads and must adhere to traffic and safety regulations while still making their deliveries on time.
CDL drivers must hold a commercial driver’s license, which takes three to six months to obtain. Some people expand the types of employment available to them by acquiring additional certifications to become hazardous materials drivers. Your CDL driver job description should specify the type of experience and certification you desire from candidates.
Driving large vehicles can be difficult, so CDL drivers must be comfortable operating heavy machinery and have the hand-eye coordination to do it proficiently. They are also legally required to have strong eyesight and hearing and be in good physical health. To learn more about what you should include in your CDL driver job description, you can review the example listed below.
CDL Driver Job Summary
Do you want to hit the open road and see the country? Our company seeks a trustworthy CDL driver to transport goods from our distribution center to restaurants and retailers throughout the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. As one of our drivers, you will have the opportunity to visit diverse locations across the country, getting a taste of the local flavor everywhere you go. Aside from daily reports to our distribution manager, you will enjoy freedom and independence on the road. If you demonstrate continued success, you will also get the chance to undergo additional paid training that opens the door for more diverse work opportunities.
- Perform safety checks of brakes, steering column, lights and mirrors prior to each leg of journey to ensure road readiness
- Follow and maintain loading protocols, using chains and binders to secure cargo and re-checking their stability throughout trips
- Inspect trailers before and after loading, paying attention to status of air lines and jack positions and adjusting them as necessary
- Visit weigh stations before and after packing to ensure that loads meet state safety regulations, making alterations to loads when required by law
- Contribute to company data by honestly recording times of delivery and hours worked
- Assist in unloading cargo when delivery sites are understaffed, maintaining product quality throughout conveyance
- Adhere to traffic safety regulations at all times, exercise caution in treacherous circumstances and report unsafe vehicle or road conditions to supervisors and highway authorities
- Use GPS to stay informed of route information, and communicate with supervisors and colleagues using CB radio and cab computer
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- CDL license
- Two years of experience working as a CDL driver with no legal or safety incidents on record
- Completion of professional truck driving educational program
- Ability to lift 75 pounds
- Enthusiasm for our products and desire to deliver them safely and on time
After you write your CDL driver job description, you need to make it available to your ideal employees. There are numerous channels through which you may distribute your listing, so choose the ones that align most closely with your hiring goals. If you want to hire people who fit well with your culture, then you may have good luck with employee referrals. If you would prefer to find candidates who specifically desire to work for your company, then post your listing directly on your website.
Whatever other recruitment tools you use, do not forget to make use of job boards, since they make your listing visible to hundreds of jobseekers. You should be aware, however, that you do not need to waste time posting to multiple boards individually. MightyRecruiter saves you hours of work by letting you post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at the same time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter