Ceiling tile installers put in new tiles in buildings’ ceilings. This involves creating design plans, ensuring all tiles are accurate sizes and applying a sealant after installation to ensure tiles are securely in place. They may also be in charge of installing additional decorative pieces to the ceiling once the tiles are in.
In order to lift all the materials needed to the ceiling, these professionals should have outstanding physical strength. Good balance is another trait to mention in your ceiling tile installer job description, because installers will need to be on top of ladders or scaffolds. Knowledge of proper safety practices is also beneficial, because the worker may be around potentially harmful contaminants.
Lastly, it is good for installers to have some basic math prowess so that they can create blueprints. To give you an example of how to convey everything, read through the ceiling tile installer job description below.
Ceiling Tile Installer Job Summary
Are you a hands-on individual who has experience working on commercial properties? You can put your skills to use measuring, cutting and installing various materials as our new ceiling tile installer. Working for our company, you will travel all over the city to various clients’ buildings to repair tiles or install new ones, ensuring everyone gets exactly what they ask for. Every day offers new, exciting challenges, and even though you will have a head contractor to report to, you basically get to work on your own while on the job. Additionally, if there are certain materials you are unfamiliar with, then you have nothing to fear because we will teach you.
- Measure the surface area of the ceiling to determine how much of a material will be necessary and use that information to provide customer with an accurate quote
- Work with a variety of materials to give clients precisely what they asked for, which can include wood or metal framing
- Cut tiles according to specifications to ensure they fit in the desired space and then fasten tiles into the framing
- Get rid of existing ceiling tiles to make way for the new ones and then safely remove tiles from the premises completely
- Ensure perfect installation by trimming the edges of tiles when necessary
- Speak with clients in an easy-to-understand manner and answer any questions thoroughly
- Coordinate with other professionals when additional work is necessary, such as working with a window installer to put in a skylight in the new ceiling
- Install insulation directly above the ceiling tiles when it would be appropriate
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Two years of experience working with ceiling tiles
- Certification to work as a ceiling installer
- At least 18 years old
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to pass a drug test
- In good physical shape
- Able to provide own tools
- Knowledge of acoustical tiles
Want to use this job description?
Ceiling Tile Installer Job Responsibilities
It takes time to craft a compelling ceiling tile installer job description, and the section on which you need to spend the most time is the responsibilities section. The right language in this section makes a significant difference. Jobseekers spend less than a minute evaluating each job posting and deciding whether to apply. A well-written section describing the ceiling tile installer job responsibilities leads to better quality applicants. It does this through accurately describing the job while also making it attractive.
To craft the best ceiling tile installer job description, you need to follow the best practices. Incorporate strong action verbs at the start of each bullet point to help jobseekers to actually imagine themselves do the work. You also need to make it easy to skim read the section. To do this, avoid a long laundry list of all responsibilities. Focus on the most important ones to the position and include them in 6-8 bullet points.
For inspiration, go over the following examples of what to include:
- Review job specifications and/or blueprints and devise the best solutions for materials, installation procedure and other requirements
- Measure and prepare the area for installation according to the project specifications
- Remove any existing ceiling tile or drywall and ensure the existing foundation is in proper shape for installation of new tile
- Install ceiling tile using adhesives, nails, screws, staples or other tools as needed
Ceiling Tile Installer Job Specifications
A well-written ceiling tile installer job description is not complete without a strong qualifications and skills section. Many jobseekers look at this section first to determine whether they meet the criteria for the position. When it is not complete, you may receive many unqualified applicants, leading to more work on your end. Rather than simply listing a few standard items, take the time to flesh out this short section with the most important criteria for the position.
Before you post your ceiling tile installer job description, discuss the position with those most familiar with it. Find out what type of education and training is absolutely necessary for the job and which you simply prefer. Also find out if there are any soft skills that would be useful, such as communication or problem-solving.
Once you have your list of criteria for the position, divide them up by required and preferred. With the right list, you will receive a much better pool of candidates, reducing the time and work it takes to find the right person for the job.
Below are some examples of ceiling tile installer job specifications to provide inspiration for your own posting:
- 2-4 years of experience in construction, ceiling tile installation preferred
- High school diploma
- Ability to pass a physical exam
- Tile Installation certificate preferred