A well-written job description can spell the difference between getting the best possible candidate for your job, and having to make do with someone who is perfectly qualified but not all you were hoping for. However, writing a good job description is often easier said than done. That is where this certified medical assistant job description sample can help. While it likely does not cover all the requirements and responsibilities essential for one of your employees. However, it does provide a good template that you can modify to fit your own needs.
Use the format and examples of language contained in this certified medical assistant job description sample to craft your own winning job description and start reeling in top talent to your company.
We are looking for a full-time certified medical assistant who is able to work Tuesday through Saturday at a busy downtown medical practice. Your primary tasks will involve assisting patients, but you may also be called upon to help with administrative, business and insurance duties as needed. The position is for 35 hours per week, with an option for paid overtime during infrequent busy periods. Pay is by the hour, and starting salary is negotiable. We also offer a generous benefit package.
To apply, submit a recent resume as well as two academic or professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit all documents are in PDF format.
- Take medical histories
- Explain treatment procedures to patients and prepare patients for exams
- Collect specimens for laboratory tests
- Assist the physician during exams and medical procedures
- Teach patients about medications, special diets, exercise plans and other medical lifestyle changes
- Give vaccinations and draw blood
- Occasionally perform other medical duties under the supervision of the doctor
- Prepare medications and prescription refills under the supervision of a physician
- Clean wounds and change bandages
- Calm nervous patients
- Ensure safety procedures are followed and medical records are kept secure and confidential
- Answer telephones and help schedule patient appointments as needed
- Greet patients as they enter the clinic and escort them to the exam rooms
- Keep patient records current
- Schedule appointments
- Assist with billing and insurance as needed
- Enter patient medical information into computer programs
- High school diploma required
•Medical assistant certification from a program accredited by American Association of Medical Assistants or the American Medical Technologists
•At least one year of experience in a clinical setting, private practice preferred but not required
•Familiarity with HIPPA regulations
•Ability to give injections and draw blood
•Knowledge of medical terminology
•Experience interviewing patients and filling out charts
•Excellent bedside manner and ability to make patients feel at ease
•Ability to take instruction from a doctor
•Familiarity with medical charts and records
•Familiarity with Microsoft Office, as well as medical billing software
•High attention to detail
•Appears friendly, reassuring and approachable to patients
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills
•Bilingual Spanish/English a plus
Dr. Smith’s practice is a primary care medical clinic that specializes in family medicine. We have four doctors on staff, including two pediatricians, and we treat patients from as young as three months to as old as 80. We pride ourselves on seeing patients throughout their lives, guiding them through exciting times such as the birth of their first child, as well as darker periods. Our office is made up of a close-knit, dedicated team of physicians, nurses and support staff.
- This certified medical assistant job description sample should give you an idea of what to include in your own description. However, if some sections are still unclear, use these handy do’s and don’t to flesh out your document and improve it.
- Do include information on whether the job is full-time or part-time
- Don’t quote a salary if it is against office policy
- Do give specific instructions for applying to the job, as well as contact information for the person applicants can get in touch with if they have questions
- Don’t use vague language or jargon
- Do mention the location of the job
- Don’t use past tense and try to avoid passive voice
- Do put information in bullet points or lists whenever possible so that applicants can quickly scan it for the parts that are relevant to them
- Do close with some basic information about your practice that applicants are likely to want to know
Certified Medical Assistant Job Responsibilities
It is impossible to understate the importance of an excellent certified medical assistant job description. Hiring candidates who already possess all the necessary qualifications and are capable of performing all essential duties will create a lot less hassle on your end. You will not have to spend as much time training new hires. You are certain this individual will get straight to work and become an immediate asset to your organization. Start the writing process by speaking with the department heads or human resources to determine key requirements.
Part of creating this section involves only listing essential job responsibilities in the certified medical assistant job description. Aim for between four and six responsibilities. Eight is the absolute maximum. Format this section using bullet points to make it easier to read through. Every bullet point should begin with a strong verb to help jobseekers envision themselves performing the task.
Below are some certified medical assistant job responsibilities you could include.
- Interview patients to obtain basic information, such as weight, height and symptoms
- Explain procedures and aftercare instructions to patients
- Record patients’ vital statistics and medical history
- Collect laboratory specimens, including tissue and blood, for later analysis
- Perform essential office duties, such as completing insurance forms and answering the phone
Certified Medical Assistant Job Specifications
Every certified medical assistant job description needs to have a job qualifications and skills section. This section will be relatively short. It should only contain around five or six qualifications you expect out of candidates. However, it is important to only list qualifications that are essential to doing this job successfully.
For example, you would want to list an appropriate level of schooling needed out of applicants. While it may be nice to have someone with a bachelor’s degree, most medical assistant positions only require a high school diploma and certification in the field. You also want to provide an appropriate level of experience among the certified medical assistant job specifications. There is no need to say that candidates should have eight years of experience when only three years is typically required.
The following list of skills would look great in a certified medical assistant job description, but make sure to customize your own job listing with what you will require.
- State certification to be a medical assistant
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a health care facility
- Knowledgeable of OSHA standards
- Physical ability to remain on feet for hours at a time to provide patient care
- Capable of maintaining a clean, professional appearance