Chemical technicians are responsible for a wide range of duties, including monitoring chemical processes and testing their quality to ensure they meet company and legal standards. They also maintain laboratory equipment, troubleshoot problems and conduct chemical and physical experiments.
When you write your chemical technician job description, mention the need for someone who is detail-oriented, as this trait helps employees prepare their reports, graphs and charts, which they then present and summarize. Because chemical technicians work with volatile substances, they must be able to closely follow safety procedures.
Chemical technicians must be highly analytical and have excellent critical thinking skills to ensure proper analyses and recording of results. Time management and observation are also important. Finally, chemical technicians should be able to read, write and speak English as well as have a professional and friendly demeanor when communicating with peers. Check out the chemical technician job description below for more.
Chemical Technician Job Summary
Are you ready to show off your skills in the chemistry lab? We are looking for talented chemical technicians who can bring their knowledge of chemical composition and proper experimentation methods to our facilities and use those skills to ensure we produce quality products that meet our high company standards as well as standards set forth by local, state and federal authorities. As a highly organized individual, you will have the opportunity to lead other technicians, design and conduct new experiments and present your findings to your peers and superiors. A position within our facility is an opportunity to grow your skills and set yourself on the path to achieving your career goals.
- Maintain laboratory equipment by keeping it clean and sterilized as well as repairing faulty equipment or requesting replacements
- Assist scientists by conducting chemical and physical laboratory tests, analyzing qualitative and quantitative results of liquid, gaseous and solid materials and then presenting your results to your peers and superiors
- Conduct experiments and analyses using common chemistry laboratory techniques, including spectroscopy, microscopy, physical or chemical separation or chromatography
- Create experimental chemical solutions or prepare standardized formulas for use in products or processes
- Monitor experiments to determine product quality and ensure they are within company standards as well as in compliance with the relevant local, state and federal regulations
- Participate in safety programs, teams or committees, and conduct regular safety audits to ensure a safe work environment for all employees
- Train new employees in company policies regarding proper use of lab equipment and relevant safety procedures when working inside or outside of the laboratory
- Record inventory numbers and order supplies when necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate degree in a relevant field
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Must have your own safety goggles, gloves and shoes
- Bachelor’s degree
- Some experience
While it is important to write an excellent chemical technician job description, it is just as important to ensure you post it in the right places. If you want a large volume of qualified applicants to see your employment ads, you must post it across multiple channels.
Although job boards are an excellent place to post your job description, they aren’t the only place you should be posting. Many potential employees check a company website for a career page, so be sure that yours has a well-written one. Facebook, Twitter and even message boards are also full of potential employees. You may even consider posting on niche job boards geared specifically toward people who wish to enter science-related fields. Posting can take lots of time, but MightyRecruiter can put you on the right track by helping you post jobs for free on hundreds of free job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter