A chemistry teacher is a specialized science instructor who teaches the chemical properties and processes of substances under a wide variety of conditions. Chemistry teachers inform students about the uses and dangers of chemicals and how to safely conduct experiments.
The required education level and specialization should be included in your chemistry teachers job description, as they vary depending on the level of instruction. High school teachers generally need only a bachelor’s degree and state certification in general chemistry, while universities often require a PhD and seek instructors with specializations such as organic, inorganic or physical chemistry.
Chemistry teachers usually take their lessons into the laboratory for experiments that demonstrate the concepts being taught, so it’s important to include the requirements for this part of the job in your job listing. See the example below for more tips on what to include in your chemistry teachers job description.
Chemistry Teachers Job Summary
Join the Washington High School family as a chemistry teacher for our 11th and 12th-grade students. We believe all students can achieve greatness, and you’ll be expected to hold high standards and encourage students to live up to them. We offer two levels of chemistry instruction for our junior and senior students as well as advanced placement courses, so you’ll get to spend your time teaching what you’re most passionate about. If you’re the type of teacher who gets excited about taking theory into the lab for exciting experiments and sharing your enthusiasm with young minds, we’d love to have you on our team.
- Teach three junior-level and three senior-level chemistry courses per school year, including at least one advanced placement course, following course requirements as outlined by the department
- Design, test and supervise weekly laboratory experiments relevant to the current lessons being taught in class
- Ensure students understand and follow all safety rules for laboratory experiments and are aware of the proper actions to take during accidents and emergencies
- Assign and evaluate all coursework, submit grades and maintain contact with parents regarding student performance
- Work to ensure all students are well prepared for state exams and meet school and state goals for student competency
- Maintain strict records of student attendance, participation, homework, lab work and test results
- Plan and supervise at least one field trip per school year, obtaining parental permission for all students involved and ensuring student safety when outside the school
- Attend parent-teacher conferences each semester and have detailed evaluations ready to share for all students
Job Skills & Qualifications
- State teaching certification in science
- Ability and desire to teach a diverse student body
- Excellent communication skills and ability to simply explain complex concepts
- Two or more years teaching science or chemistry in a public high school setting
- Experience conducting laboratory experiments with students
Once you’ve written an attractive and engaging chemistry teachers job description, you’re ready to find the perfect candidate for your position. In order to find that person, you need to post your job where qualified job seekers are most likely to look.
Posting on your school’s and school district’s web pages and local job sites is a great start, but if you want to get the maximum number of qualified applicants, you need to share your job on the major online job boards. Finding the right job sites for your position and posting to each one individually can be a serious hassle, so let MightyRecruiter make the job easy with free job postings that put your description in front of hundreds of individuals.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter