A chief executive officer (CEO) is a critical leader in any organization. The person assuming this role is responsible for setting the precedent for professionalism, conduct and integrity for everyone else in the company. A CEO’s primary responsibilities include establishing company goals, overseeing financial expenditures, negotiating new business opportunities, assessing key performance indicators and hiring top leaders to run the company.
Leadership is perhaps the most notable skill to include in your chief executive job description. A CEO who understands the value of stable leadership will combine communication and dedication to encourage employees to work towards a common purpose. A chief executive has to be a confident decision-maker and effective communicator and understand time-management and problem resolution.
A CEO who pays close attention to detail and is familiar with day-to-day operations can successfully lead an organization to success. Use this chief executive job description as a reference to create your own.
Chief Executive Job Summary
As a chief executive at our company’s headquarters, you have the chance to make an impact in the organization’s growth, success and economic footprint through valued leadership. Your integral role enables you to work in a variety of business practices including finances, marketing and sales. In addition to collaborating with other executives, you will hear and analyze reports from departmental leaders to make critical decisions regarding our company’s future. This position provides you with unparalleled opportunities to grow and build your professional resume. You will report directly to the board of trustees along with your colleagues. If you excel at time management, problem solving and communication and are committed to making a difference, this role could be perfect for you.
- Establish organizational policies, procedures, goals and initiatives and set the precedent for the type of behavior required to achieve successful results
- Perform routine analysis of key performance indicators, benchmarking statistics and quarterly reports to monitor the company’s performance and marketability
- Interview and hire key company leaders and establish departmental functions to ensure an organizational structure that excels in communication and efficiency
- Collaborate with distributers, organizational entities and suppliers to negotiate critical contracts for the support of products and services
- Identify opportunities for growth via joint ventures, investment opportunities and partnerships, and pitch important reports to interested entities
- Prepare and present detailed reports to the board of trustees that discuss the company’s growth, financial standing and market share
- Oversee financial expenditures and identify areas where cost cutting is required for increased efficiency and resource-savings
- Research and review legislation to guarantee that company operations are ethical and in-line with federally outlined requirements
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or related field
- At least 10 years of experience in a management position
- Proven leadership, communication and time management skills
- Master’s degree in a business-related field
- Familiarity with various organizational structures
Writing, editing and finalizing your chief executive job description requires time and thought. However, this is just the first step to finding the perfect candidate. Next, it is time to post your information in places where it will be visible to the people who are the most qualified and enthusiastic about leading an organization.
You may consider posting something directly on your website, advertising the opening on social media or even using reputable referral programs. Another option is utilizing the convenience of job boards where job seekers can filter results to show exactly the position they are interested in. Get started by using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards and have your content viewed by hundreds of qualified candidates in a short period of time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter