The job market is incredibly fierce. As more companies strive to attract top talent they pull out all the stops. However, research has shown that one of the most effective ways to lure the most qualified, hardworking and focused individuals is through an effective job description. Writing a standout posting for your available positions is the first step towards building an all-star team. If you are looking for assistance in creating a chief financial officer sample job description, you’ve come to the right place.
The team at MightyRecruiter has spent countless hours studying the most successful companies to bring you the best tips and tricks in the industry. We have created guides that will help you attract, hire and retain the best employees, and it all begins with a killer job description. Check out the example one below for a chief financial officer.
Chief Financial Officer Position Summary
The chief financial officer position is primarily responsible for the financial, administrative and risk management operations of the company. This position will develop financial and operational strategies, while monitoring various control systems and reporting accurate financial data to the board and shareholders. The chief financial officer will also oversee managers and employees in the accounting and financial departments.
Chief Financial Officer Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in managing the company’s future growth and direction, while supporting financial initiatives
- Develop financial strategies by contributing and reporting financial data, analysis and recommended growth and direction.
- Establish functional goals that align with company objectives.
- Monitor financial performance by analyzing data and results. Initiate correct accounting and financial principles to minimize risk and variances.
- Forecast capitals, staff requirements and facilities.
- Create action plans based on monetary resources.
- Oversee the capital funds and budgeting processes.
- Maximize the return on shareholder funds by investigating opportunities and retaining relationships with various investors in the industry.
- Assists in developing company-wide strategic goals by analyzing current trends, evaluating critical measurements and strategies, resolving problems and implementing change procedures.
- Works together with human resources and management to attract, hire and retain a strong team of accounting and financial experts.
Chief Financial Officer Qualifications and Skills
- The candidate for chief financial officer should possess the following:
- A master’s degree in finance or business administration.
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) along with ten years of progressively responsible experience in a similar role for a large company.
- Experience in partnering with company executive teams, board members and shareholders, while maintaining strong communication skills.
- Extensive experience in financial planning and strategy, corporate finance, budgeting, managing profitability and quality management skills.
- Wise time-management skills and proficiency in multi-tasking.
- Vast managerial experience over large departments.
Our Company Culture and Vision
Advanced Accounting was founded in 1985 and since that time has developed into one of the largest accounting firms in the country. We are proud to offer our clients a wide range of financial services while maintaining close, interpersonal relationships. Our goal is to provide the highest level of financial and accounting services while developing working solutions and increasing value for our shareholders.
The standards at Advanced Accounting are extremely high. We have combined years of experience and professionalism into a culture that thrives on energy and performance. Our team is diligently looking for the best talent in the industry to join our team. We encourage you to apply today if you want to be part of a team of growing talent in one of the most sought-after industries in the world.
Additional Tips and Tricks for Writing an Effective Job Description
The example above is a great resource for a chief financial officer sample job description. If you need a little more assistance in creating an effective posting that will attract result-driven employees to your company, MightyRecruiter has you covered. Here are some of our best tips and tricks to help you create a new job posting.
If you need any additional help in attracting, hiring and retaining all-stars in your industry, check out more articles available on MightyRecruiter. We have a wealth of resources to help your company create talented teams of employees who are driven to help you reach success. Read more from MightyRecruiter today.
Chief Financial Officer Job Responsibilities
Jobseekers spend approximately 60 seconds scanning job specifications to determine whether they will apply for a position. A well-written chief financial officer job description is therefore essential to ensure a robust pool of highly qualified candidates to fill this leadership role. The job responsibilities section is most important in detailing expectations and providing information for jobseekers to assess their fit for this position. This section of the job description is not intended to provide a long list of duties, but instead to document the requirements for success in this particular role. Provide between six and eight succinct bullet points to detail the requirements of the position in this section. A strong chief financial officer job responsibilities section will describe the types of deliverables produced and decisions made as well as examples of projects led by a person in this position. Start each bullet with an action verb to illustrate the requirements of the job consistently.
Here are some examples of responsibilities you might include in a chief financial officer job description:
- Develop strategies and plans for the long-term financial goals of the company
- Make recommendations based on key risks and opportunities affecting the financial results of the company
- Manage financial functions, including budgeting, accounting, forecasting, systems and reporting
- Prepare regular detailed reports, analyses and summaries on the company’s financial progress
Chief Financial Officer Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your chief financial officer job description provides a list of minimum and essential skills for assessing candidates, so accuracy is critical to draw the right jobseekers and create a baseline. Applicants will likely come with a breadth of experience; however, this section can help ensure they come with the right experience.
The chief financial officer will serve on the leadership team, so it is also important to include the input of existing leaders regarding the desired skills and qualifications of the person you will be hiring. To create a comprehensive and detailed list of qualifications and skills, work with the hiring manager and a committee that represents this leadership team to outline the requirements of the role. A committee can also align the description with the internal expectations for the ideal candidate. You can then separate the qualifications and skills included in your chief financial officer job description into two distinct sections describing required and preferred skills.
Here are some examples of chief financial officer job specifications:
- Ability to generate financial reports and analyze, interpret and forecast financial data
- Experience leading a finance team through a company’s high growth period
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience in a business or financial occupation (e.g., auditor, financial analyst or accountant)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills